Microsoft Teams vs Confluence

Charlie Veneziano October 16, 2020

I have quite a bit of experience with Confluence and would like to introduce it to my new firm.

The new firm already has Microsoft Teams, does anyone have a view on Confluence Cloud vs the Wiki component native to Microsoft Teams?

5 answers

0 votes
Shaun Tukuafu August 23, 2023

If you use MS Teams and are interested in using a MS integrated corporate wiki tool then checkout Microsoft Loop which is deploying next month. 
Microsoft Loop: Collaborative App | Microsoft 365

The MS Teams Wiki function is going away and MS suggest you move your wiki content into OneNote. I'd recommend waiting for Loop to deploy or try the preview now and decide for yourself. 

Ilia P August 23, 2023

Or if you don't want to wait till the next month, you could try Perfect Wiki today -> https://perfectwiki.com

0 votes
sochix January 6, 2021

Hey @Charlie Veneziano I wrote an in-depth review of all available wiki solutions for Ms Teams. 

Currently if you are ok with having separate logins for all of your teammates to Atlassian Confluence and you don’t need proper integration with Microsoft Teams, then you should use it. Otherwise, I would not recommend it.

Full review: https://perfectwiki.xyz/blog/best-wiki-apps-for-ms-teams-2021/

Best wiki app for MS Teams.png

0 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2020

As already mention by @Move Work Forward the wiki in Teams is very limited and in no way comparable to Confluence. There are a lot of Microsoft 365 customers that would like to see the wiki tab hidden.

0 votes
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2020

@Charlie Veneziano ,

It really depends what you want the docs for.

The wiki element of Microsoft Teams is very limited in the functionality, it doesn't support collaborative editing, dynamic elements, rich content. it is a pretty limited markdown wiki and it is hard to link/search between documents and teams.

The wiki fits very well if you want to have some kind of a team/channel readme or FAQ.

@Jonathan Smith the wiki documents are stored in the Share Point, but they are not fully-blown pages.

0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2020

I would also like to know a bit about the Wiki component. Is it just SharePoint pages in the background?

James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2020

They are stored in SharePoint not as pages but in a hidden SharePoint list.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events