Mention people in Confluence

Abhijeet Keenoo February 8, 2022

Hello Community Support.

Confluence is deployed for my organisation to make use of.

Nevertheless, it is possible to mention anyone (within & outside the organisation) which is something we want to avoid.

While we don't want to disable the mention feature (as we want to be able to mention internal users only), how can we prevent our users from mentioning users outside our organisations?

Thanks & Regards,

Abhi.

2 answers

1 vote
Duy Anh Do August 20, 2023

Hi @Abhijeet Keenoo ,

You can use this plugin to limit the @mentioning for specific groups. Users then can only @mention or search for other users in groups you configure.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225447/confluence-browse-people-permission?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Cheers

0 votes
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2022

@Abhijeet Keenoo Welcome to the Confluence Community. 

Any user that is licensed on your instance will be able to be mentioned. Are the users that are accessing your instance from outside of the organization licensed or accessing via public links? If they are not licensed, they should not be able to be mentioned. But all licensed users can, and you cannot restrict that on a user basis.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2022

@Abhijeet Keenoo checking in here to see if my answer helped and if you have any additional questions. 

Abhijeet Keenoo February 9, 2022

Hello @Andy Gladstone .

Well, I tried again and it looks like you can mention any user (even outside the organisation).

For e.g., let's say our domain name is abc.com & all users with email address abc.com is licensed & can be mentioned. Fine, no problem with that!

Not let's say I want to mention user user1@abc.com but as soon as i type @user1...i have several usernames coming up like user1@ferrari.com, user1@dubai.com, user1@whatever.com...& they can be mentioned...

Any idea how to allow mentioning for a specific domains only?

Thanks & Regards,

Abhi.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2022

That is odd. When you type the @ symbol, you get a list of all users like the below, that shows even users outside your organization? Is it possible that someone has created users for these individuals in your org?

Capture12.JPG

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

@Abhijeet Keenoo checking in here to see if your issue has been resolved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events