Mention a user in a group, page, or pre-user list

Kevin Lee December 4, 2017

Hi,

My company has hundreds of users. During a meeting, every time I mentioned a user in a page, I would need to know the user's full name, how to spell them, and search through entire confluence database in order to tag that user.

Is there a way to put a group of users in a list, so that when I do an @ and then specify the group or list, I can be able to chose those users from it, instead of searching all users in confluence? Or any work around so that I can mention a user within a pre selected list or group?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Kevin,

It is not possible to limit user mentions to a specific group or list. We had a request to implement this in the past, but do not have intention of doing so in the near future.

My recommendation would be to try mentioning the user based on a unique quality of their name, for example, when I want to mention myself, rather than mentioning @ Shannon, I begin typing my surname, which is far less common on the Confluence instance and shows up faster.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Shannon

Kevin Lee December 5, 2017

Thanks for response, Shannon. It's hard to remember and be able to spell some foreign user  names. I would suggest to have a "nickname" option added to each user profile that can be use with mention. This way if I called myself "SA Kevin" or OPS Kevin, then as soon as you type @ SA Kev or OPS Kev, the list of users with those names will show up. This will definitely helps among the 10K+ users we currently have. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Kevin,

Keep in mind that you don't have to type the entire name in order for the users to come up in your list. If you type just the first few letters it will show you all users that match that pattern.

In addition, typing a username will also allow you to mention the user.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 5.56.44 PM.png

Let me know if you have any trouble with that.

Regards,

Shannon

Kevin Lee December 5, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Yes. I am also aware of the username options which was why I mentioned some "foreign" names and last names are hard to spell. Thanks for your time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events