Many to Single Confluence link AND BACK

Alex Shedroff May 14, 2021

I am writing documentation where I have multiple documents (titled 1 through 25) which point to a single document (titled A.)

Linking multiple in is easy and forward, 1 link on each page.

If adding links back it would take 25 (A->1, A->2,...A->25.)

Is there a confluence function call to make the link from A out work as "RETURN TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM," rather than creating 25 different links?

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you,

Alex M. Shedroff  5-14-2021

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

My one thought is to label all the "inbound pages" (the pages being used for the inbound links).

Then you can use the "Content By Label" macro to aggregate a list of the outbound links on that "A" page.

- - - - - - -

If that's feasible for you, great! Just one additional caution. You might already have a template page that you are using to spin up new inbound pages.

You might then wish to just add a label to that template, which will propagate to each new inbound page you spin up. Let me validate that that would be awesome!

...except for bug CONFCLOUD-38181 which exactly breaks this possibility. Anyone reading this, please go vote for that bug so we can encourage Atlassian to prioritize it.

While labeling each page might still be manual, it's less overhead than editing the page and copy/pasting URLs. Hopefully you can train folks to add the labels themselves as they create new pages. Or you can set yourself as a Watcher on that space to keep things from slipping thru the cracks.

One final thought: if your org is new to using Confluence labels for pages, consider thinking through some minimal naming schemes. This can help in the long-term, since the namespace for page labels is global throughout your Confluence instance.

Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Alex Shedroff May 17, 2021

Thank you.  While this comes close to what I am looking for it does not quite apply.

I will most likely have 20 to 30 links onto individual pages and am hoping Confluence has a built in function to basically act as (almost any,) browser's back button; IE a single button/return link to send the user's instance back to where it was called from.

The packaging of return links could work however this still leaves the user with selecting from one of many pages/labels and I'm hoping for a simpler 1 button/link returns you to where ever you came from.

Again, thank you for your suggested solution.  It would be both consistent and a bit more elegant than having to manually update the page each time another link in is made but does not seem to resolve the TMC (too many choices,) issue.

Alex...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events