Manually restore confluence install

Situation:

• I got my confluence_home dir, with the hsqldb in /database.
  • I lost the confluence.cfg.xml and installation dir.
  • I don't have a backup in the form of a xml file.

I figured I could just use the db files and the other files from confluence_home but I'm not having any succes so far. Which dirs do I need to remove to get it working?

Or perhaps is there a way to manually create a restore.xml? Or could I create a clean install and import the actual site files?

1 answer

0 vote

You could have lost this one.  Your best bet would be your last suggestion, sort of.

I would try creating a new installation in an empty directory, of exactly the same version you have already.  Go all the way through the installation to the point where it has let you log in as a user and see an off-the-shelf Confluence install.  (While installing, make sure you select the HSQL option for the database)

Now, shut it down.

Then go into the "home" directory for it and find the files that make up the hsql data - these are database.script and database.properties.  Move them somewhere safe, and then copy the same files from the broken installation.  Make sure the permissions and ownership are correct.  You also need to copy the full directory <confluence home>/attachments to the new installation although that really is a flat copy.

Now restart the new Confluence.  Once it's running, log in and run a full re-index.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,852 views 27 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you