Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing permissions/page structure in Confluence

wesley_geddes June 3, 2020

I am currently in the process of restructuring our Confluence instance. We have decided on a structure, but are having an issue with permissions. 

I attached a screenshot to give an example of what I am envisioning. 

image.png

The problem with this structure is when I go to the Space 'Jira' I am taken to the page tree 'JIRA Space.' I can then navigate up and down this page tree (great!). But, how do I get over to the 'Confluence' and 'Atlassian Support' pages? The only way I can see getting to it is through a direct link (not a terrible solution, but I'd like to see if there is another way).

The reasoning behind structuring it this way is as follows: 

1. Multiple teams/groups will be working on a single Space. 

2. I want to restrict who has access to edit/view on each page tree ('Confluence,' 'JIRA Space,' and 'Atlassian Support'). It would be divided out by groups/teams. 

Why not just have 'Confluence' and 'Atlassian Support' live under 'JIRA Space' and then restrict 'Confluence and 'Atlassian Support'? Because if I need to give 'edit' permissions to someone who is working on the 'JIRA Space' they need to have 'edit' access to 'JIRA Support' which will allow them to create pages where they shouldn't be made. 

This isn't an absolutely show-stopping issue, but the structure above (in the image) completely eliminates that problem. If it just requires providing a link, I'll make that work. 

Any thoughts/suggestions/how-to's?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2020

Hi @wesley_geddes 

I see your problem. It's a bit tricky, but we will find a solution for you :)

First of all, you have to understand, that every space has a space homepage. You can set it up in your space settings overview (Documentation)

Then, all pages of this space are normally a subpage of this "space homepage". This looks like this: 

image.png

image.png

If you change the ordering of the pages, you change the page tree! 

So I would recommend you, that you create a space homepage and move all three Pages to a subpage, like I did. 

I hoep this is what you looked for. Let me know if this is working for you. 

Regards, Dominic 

wesley_geddes June 3, 2020

The way you have it structured above is how we currently do it. The problem (I say problem but it's more of an inconvenience) is that even if I lock down 'Atlassian Support,' 'Confluence,' and 'JIRA Space' if a person has 'Edit' access on the Space, they have the ability to create sub-pages under 'Community Space Home' (regardless of the permissions I place on the three sub pages). 

My current solution is this: 

I have 3 'Parent' pages (as seen in my screenshot from the original post). 

Home (Edit restricted to Space admins)

Confluence (view/edit access restricted)

--Sub page

--Sub page

JIRA Space (view/edit access restricted)

--Sub page

--Sub page

Atlassian Support (view/edit access restricted)

On the 'Home' page, I have buttons that allow the user to navigate to 'Confluence,' 'JIRA Space,' or 'Atlassian Support.' This way the only sub-pages a user can create will exist within the page-tree where I have granted them permission. 

I would think of this as REALLY similar to just creating 3 separate Spaces. I prefer this method so as to only need to manage one Space, instead of 3. I think it also helps create a mental map (at least with how my organization is structured). You go to your Divisions Space, navigate to your Programs Page-Tree, and then go to your teams sub-tree. 

Let me know if I'm thinking of this wrong, and/or if this would cause any issues down the road. 

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2020

You are right, I think I see the problem here. 

I have to say, that I'm not aware of an easier solution than you did. 

Personally, I would create three spaces with "space shortcuts" in the space sidebar. I think the permission handling is easier for you with 3 spaces than just one. 

Regards, Dominic

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events