Did you mean: 

Making my wiki more site-like for end users

Ivan Demkovitch May 25, 2012

I'm using confluence for public product documentation

I would like to make following changes for Anonimous users:

# Remove Tools menu (on pages) alltogether

# Remove Browse menu on top

# Remove Added by.. Edited by.. Change line alltogether from pages

# Modify breadcrumb on top so it shows my space as a root - no Dashboard link.

How would I do this? I guess this is kind of obvious thing but can't figure out how to do this.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2012

You can use a pagetree macro that provides side navigation, if that's the only reason you're using the doc theme. I almost used that theme, but after playing with it for a while, I found out I could replicate what the doc theme does, plus I can customize it without worrying about what limitations the theme sets on me.

If your intent on using the doc theme, I'll have to defer to someone else to see if they know how to modify some of the layouts.

matt

Ivan Demkovitch May 30, 2012

Ok, I did search for "documentation theme" to figure that it's not modifieable. My option is to copy it (it's a plugin) and build another theme based on it. I will also check pagetree macro to see what it's doing

1 vote
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

These are many of the same tasks we've done as we are building out our site in Confluence but making it very non-Confluence like. None of it is very obvious, so you came to the right place. :)

To remove tools menu so that it only shows up for users who have edit permissions, wrap the content-navigation.vm in a permission check:

#if ($permissionHelper.canAdminister($action.remoteUser, $space))

#parse ("/decorators/includes/content-navigation.vm")

#end

To modify the breadcrumbs:

Use jQuery to remove the redundant home page names by editing the Custom HTML in the Admin panel:

AJS.$('#breadcrumbs li').eq(2).remove();

To modify the metadata ("Added/edited by..."), I use some customized markup in the page layout decorator:

#set ($lastModder = $confPage.getLastModifierName())

#set ($lastModDate = $confPage.getLastModificationDate())

<div class="page-metadata">

<ul>

<li class="page-metadata-item noprint">

<li class="page-metadata-modification-info">Last edited by $lastModder on $lastModDate</li>

</ul>

</div>

hth,

matthew horn

I'm very new to modyfing, sorry for obvious questions. For removing "Tools"
I went to Confluence Admin -> Look and Feel -> Layouts and modified Page Layout

## Added wrapped into check for logged in user
#if ($permissionHelper.canAdminister($action.remoteUser, $space))
#if ($mode != "edit" &amp;&amp; $mode != "edit-preview")
    #parse ("/decorators/includes/content-navigation.vm")
#end
#end

Doesn't seem like it worked, I still see Tools menu when logged out Did I do it wrong?

I use Documentation template, does it matter?

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2012

try removing lines 3 and 5 in your above code snippet. Or just comment them out with double hashes (##). Let me know if that works. I could be misremembering which line you need to conditionally hide, but I think it's the content-navigation VM file...

matt

Didn't work (with commenting). I don't think it takes place at all - I put some freeform text in there and then looked for it on page and it didn't show up. Maybe because I'm using Documentation template?

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2012

Oh, that's possible. I don't use any themes (I found they can be pretty restricting when it comes to low-level modifications). Be aware that you can only see the difference, of course, when you are logged out (or logged in as a user without edit permissions).

matt

Ok. Looks like it is Theme. It works with default Theme, but defaul does not work for me. Is there any way to modify Documentation Theme?

Yes, I did log out (of course :) )
But I do need this side navigation bar because it's documentation...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events