Making a page visible to users without a license in my company but not open to anonymous

Scott Wiegers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2024

This has been asked and answered previously, but the post I found was six years old.

We have licenses for everyone in my organization that will work on the content in our instance of Confluence.

Is there a way to make a Confluence page viewable for everyone in my organization (including employees without a license) but not visible to anyone and everyone on the internet (anonymous access)?

Is there any sort of Enterprise wide view only licensing available?

4 answers

1 vote
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2024

@Scott Wiegers Hello and welcome.

Yes, it is possible - and your use case is similar to ours and we use Scroll Viewport by K15t.

Viewport is a Confluence app that uses Confluence content (space or spaces) that you specify to create a static website.

The Confluence content can be anonymous with no public access.

But you can protect the Viewport site with your company preferred SSO SAML login method.

That way, anyone using that SSO login, which is under your control, can access the content on the site even if they do not have a seat on Confluence.

Set up for your situation is easy:

1. Install Viewport
  2. Create a Viewport site.
  3. Set up your own domain.
  4. Set up SSO.
  5. Assign which content should Viewport build the site from.

You can have as many spaces as you want in a single Viewport site.

Or you can create multiple viewport sites with different SSO setups for more granular control.

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2024

To elaborate, if you want to include only portions of individual spaces, you can use Scroll Documents app and built your site from 'documents' which is any content that you put in that document (think 'virtual space')

Like Scott Wiegers likes this
1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

Hello @Scott Wiegers 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Do note the very important policy information concerning Guests not intending to be used for users within your organization.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 4.04.53 PM.png

You might want to instead consider this option:

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/share-content-externally-with-public-links/

There are also third party apps that can help you share content with unlicensed users, such as:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220562/external-share-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

1 vote
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

Take a look at Guests.  https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/invite-guests-for-external-collaboration/

It's better than allowing anonymous, it does require you to know who to invite, which can be a hassle.

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2024

That would work, but it's a) laborious (as you point out) and it's b) a 'frowned upon' option as @Trudy Claspill points out :)

Like Scott Wiegers likes this
0 votes
Aditya_miniOrange March 27, 2024

Hello @Scott Wiegers

Welcome to the community. 

Yes, it is possible to make confluence pages/spaces viewable for everyone in your organization, including those without a license. 

With the help of our plugin - Share Confluence with External users, you can share your Confluence spaces/pages with any unlicensed user by creating secure links that can be shared to unlicensed users. 

These links will be password-protected and will not be accessible to everyone. 

This add-on solves all of the above problems which are major hiccups in sharing Confluence pages.

You can have a look at some of the features the add-on provides: 

1. Set validity and Password Protection for the shared links
  2. Share links directly on mail
  3. Allow users to view/add attachments to the shared confluence link

You can share as many spaces as you want and set a validity for the shared link. 

Let me know if you would be interested in having a demo of the same. You can reach out to us at atlassiansupport@xecurify.com or schedule a demo via this link

Thanks,

Aditya Kekre

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events