Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the default new page a blog post?

emillym September 21, 2020

I'd like to force the "Create" button to make a blog post, by default, rather than a new page. We're using the new editor now, and a lot of my team are missing the sidebar and just making pages when they mean to make blog posts. Anyone have a way of making this work easily?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2020

Hi, welcome to the Community!

There is currently no way of changing what the Create button does in Confluence Cloud. A couple suggestions exist in our public Jira instance that relate to this, however:

As somewhat of a workaround, it is possible to use the Blog Posts macro on a page to add a button that skips the Create dialogue box and goes straight to a new Blog post:

image.pngI've used the fields on the left to filter down the criteria so no posts show in the feed. When there's no posts to display, the macro adds the "Create blog post" button. This would require your team to view whatever page this macro is on to get the button, so it may not be the exact solution you're looking for. But it's possible if you have a newsfeed page for your blog posts anyway, adding a "blank" Blog Posts macro above your existing news items could provide an easy way to create new posts.

Cheers,
Daniel

emillym September 27, 2020

Thanks! I think that will work, I'll just put a create blog post button right at the top of the front page. 

Ashleigh Rogerson April 14, 2021

@Daniel Eads what filters do you need to add to force the macro to show "Create blog post" I've entered the "max posts" as 0 , what am i missing?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2021

I'd recommend using search criteria that yield no results. For example, in the screenshot above, I used 'Restrict to these Authors' and entered an account that hadn't ever published a blog post. You could also use the 'Restrict to these Labels' box and enter some nonsense label like lkjsadlfkjasdfkl that nobody would intentionally add.

Ashleigh Rogerson April 22, 2021

nope still hasn't worked

Ashleigh Rogerson April 22, 2021

image.pngimage.png

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
April 23, 2021

Testing the options listed in the screenshot:

• 'Restrict to these Labels' doesn't want to go on labels that don't exist. My mistake previously.
  • Maximum Number of Blog Posts: 0 isn't valid. Don't use that as an option here.
  • Restrict to these Authors: Valid, as originally posted. Works great if you have an account that's never published a blog post.
  • Time Frame: 1m as a value here would be great. Combined with the 'Restrict to these authors' option, you're likely to always be able to ensure that no results are in the list. Worst case scenario, the account you choose did publish a blog post... but it disappears from the list and the Create button comes back in 60 seconds.
emillym April 25, 2021

I restricted to a label that we don't use on blog posts - it does get used but not for blog posts so that it is a legit label that never comes up with anything.

Still occasionally get people trying to make a blog post by editing the front page and just typing into the page but mostly this method has idiot-proofed our blog.

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Ashleigh Rogerson April 26, 2021

@Daniel Eads I mustn't be that familiar with Confluence because I don't understand this. What is a label? What is a valid number to put in Max number if 0 is not? Are you able to walk me through and explain clearly what I need to enter into the fields for it to work

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2021

@Ashleigh Rogerson I would recommend starting with a fresh blog posts macro, then modify only these fields:

• Time Frame: 1m
  • Restrict to these Authors: (pick any account - your own account is fine)

and that's it. Save the macro without modifying any of the other options.

Labels are a type of freeform metadata you can add to pages. They're not necessary for this, although you can read about them at this link if you're interested in learning more.

Ashleigh Rogerson May 3, 2021

Got it, thank you 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events