Maintaining external hyperlinks when renaming Confluence server

We had a small Confluence instance that was used by a single division of the company and we migrated to a new instance that is for the whole company. As part of these changes the basic url was changed from confluence.X.com to confluence.Y.com where X was the division name and Y is the parent company name. We set up a redirect so that external links would continue to function, but they don't.

If you click on a link that points to the old server the user is brought to the new server (so that part of the redirect is working) however, the user is presented with their default page (ex. space directory) instead of the page they want.

Is there a way we can fix this?

If it can be fixed, will it work for urls that specify the page id as well as those that have the page title?

Regards,

Ramsay

2 answers

1 accepted

On a similar scenario we used a transparent proxy to achieve such functionality. It is not optimal though as weird things can happen with the base url.

My problem was caused by an incomplete configuration of the proxy

When I created the Vhost, I forgot the $1 variable which means all info after the server Name.

Before
ServerName confluence.accovia.com

RewriteRule /(.*) https://confluence.acceo.com

NOW
ServerName confluence.accovia.com
RewriteRule /(.*) https://confluence.acceo.com/$1

I look forward to finding out what kind of weird thinks can happen with the base url smile

Being a while, but try uploading a plugin using the non configured base url.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Friday in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

281 views 11 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you