Lost our Confluence Instance after upgrade

Doug Kozar February 15, 2018

I just stepped through an upgrade of Confluence. After the upgrade completed, Confluence is gone.

Where did it go?

How do I get it back?

Here is what was displayed during upgrade:

Backing up the Confluence installation directory

com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.files.CreateZipFileAction failed

Ignore [i, Enter], Quit [q]

I ignored

Backing up the Confluence home directory

Deleting the previous Confluence installation directory...

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/atlassian-confluence-6.3.1/atlassian-confluence-6.7.1-x64.bin.5620.dir/stats.properties (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentStats.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentStats.getInstance(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentInstaller.getMinSize(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentInstaller.validateInstallationDir(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.InstallFilesAction.install(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerContextImpl.performActionInt(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performAction(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Extracting files ...
An error occurred:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/atlassian-confluence-6.3.1/atlassian-confluence-6.7.1-x64.bin.5620.dir/stats.properties (No such file or directory)
Error log: /opt/atlassian/confluence/atlassian-confluence-6.3.1/install4jError8808887213162555615.log
at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentStats.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentStats.getInstance(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.content.ContentInstaller.doStandardInstallation(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.InstallFilesAction.install(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerContextImpl.performActionInt(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performAction(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Finishing installation ...

Now Confluence is gone.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Doug,

1. Can you confirm which procedure you ran through on Upgrading Confluence? Did you use the installer?
  2. Were you able to successfully test the upgrade on a staging environment?
  3. Which version are you upgrading from and to? I assume it's from 6.3.1 to the latest?
  4. Can you confirm you were able to backup your installation directory, home directory, and database per Backing Up Confluence in the upgrade procedure? Were you able to roll back to this in the meantime?

Regards,

Shannon

Thanks @Shannon S. I did this:

Run the installer> sudo ./atlassian-confluence-6.7.1-x64.bin
Follow the prompts to upgrade Confluence:
Ok [o, Enter]> o
Upgrade an existing Confluence installation [3, Enter]> 3
Existing installation directory:
[/opt/atlassian/confluence]> /opt/atlassian/confluence/atlassian-confluence-6.3.1
Back up Confluence home ?
Yes [y, Enter]> y
Checking for local modifications.
List of modifications made within Confluence directories.
The following provides a list of file modifications within the confluence directory.
Added files:
confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j-diagnostic.properties
confluence/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.43-bin.jar
Do you want to proceed?
Upgrade [u, Enter]> u
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2018

Thank you, Doug. So it sounds like you used the installer method.

Did you confirm that the installation directory the installer showed to you was the correct one?

When you say that Confluence is gone, can you confirm what you mean by that? Are you just looking for the installer folder, or is your Confluence home gone, and you're not able to access Confluence by the same URL as before?

In my last question, I asked how the upgrade on the staging environment had gone, and if you were able to make a manual backup of the installer, home, and database in case you need to roll back. Could you confirm that?

Regards,
Shannon

As I ran the installer, it showed be an installation directory of `/opt/atlassian/confluence`. I simply hit the enter key and got a response to the effect that this was not the installation dir.

So I tried again. Same response.

On the third attempt I responded to the installation directory reference with `/opt/atlassian/confluence/atlassian-confluence-6.3.1` and the installation carried on...

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2018

Doug,

We will need a bit more information, so could you upload the logs that you have to the ticket I just created for you via transfer.atlassian.io?

We will proceed from there in the support ticket.

Thank you!

Shannon

Thanks @Shannon S. I uploaded the log file.

Pratik Kumar July 18, 2018

What was the solution for this ?  @Shannon S@Doug Kozar

I am facing the same problem

Deleted user February 14, 2019

@Doug Kozar @Shannon S can you please share what the solution to this was or at least the cause.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2019

Hello David and Pratik,

I'm terribly sorry that I hadn't seen Pratik's response to this earlier. The case I created for Doug was actually a duplicate of one he raised earlier on our support forum, so I hadn't received any updates on it.

I've looked into this for you, but we didn't end up finding the root cause of the error. Doug's instance was restored to the original state, and we attempted an upgrade one more time, this time using the .zip method instead of the installer method.

I hope that helps, but if you all are having any issues with this at all, please feel free to raise a Support Ticket and include your Support Zip, and we can have a look for you.

Best regards,

Shannon

Rajani Yarlagadda November 26, 2020

@Shannon S 

I am getting same error when upgrading confluence from 6.2.0 to 7.7.3 manually (not with installer), Any suggestions to fix it?

0 votes
collab-admin_lge_com July 24, 2019

This is a simple matter.
If the location of the upgrade file is the same as your Confluence installation location, uncompress the files for upgrade in the Confluence folder. Then, when deleting the data of existing confluence installation file, the problem is caused by deleting the file for upgrade.
Placing the upgrade installation file outside of the confluence installation folder seems to fix the problem.

0 votes
Tawfeq Shahin March 19, 2019

@Doug Kozar @Shannon S 

I have the same Problem !

can you please share what is the solution?

i want to upgrade from 6.9.1 to 6.15.1 with installer "atlassian-confluence-6.15.1-x64.bin"

and get 

"com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.files.CreateZipFileAction failed

Ignore [i, Enter], Quit [q] "

and i have selected q to quit from upgrade process & back to old version!

Deleted user March 19, 2019

Hi Tawfeq,

We ran into this when trying to move from 6.13 to 6.14, when we moved from our older LTS version 6.4.2 to 13 and directly to 14 we did not see the issue so not sure what changes in the later versions with that package....but, I digress.

The work-around that worked for us was doing a "silent install" using the response.varfile, basically we just had to update our installation/home directory value in this file and set the value of this property,sys.confirmedUpdateInstallationString=, to true.

Information on running the silent install is here: unattended installation.

Hope this helps.

Tawfeq Shahin March 20, 2019

Hi David,

i have change the Group Ownership of confluence Home also to confluence Group and run the installer as root and the upgrade was successful.

Regards,

mvirmalainen March 24, 2019

We ran into this same problem when upgrading from version 6.8.3 to 6.8.5. In our case the root cause was that we ran out of free disk space during the upgrade process. After we made sure there was enough free disk space the upgrade was successful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events