Looking for recommendations on Confluence upgrade path

Barry DeZonia January 10, 2020

Hello,

I have a CentOS 6 box with MySQL 5.6 and Confluence 6.0.2. I want to get to a CentOS 7 box with MySQL 5.7 and Confluence 7.1.2 or later. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this?

For our JIRA server (in a similar situation) I'm getting a recommendation to upgrade to the last minor version (for Confluence this would be 6.0.7). Then maybe a transition version where the path is well known and desired because of reasons the support folks know (for Confluence this would be something between 6.0.7 and 7.1.2 - probably 6.15.x?). And then the final version to get to the latest release (7.1.2 or 7.2.x). Does anyone know what upgrade path would match this idea?

One tricky thing is that during the upgrade the MySQL version will need to be incremented from 5.6 to 5.7. So there may be the need for some transitional release of Confluence where My SQL 5.6 and 5.7 are both supported, then once running we upgrade the MySQL server to 5.7, and then continue the upgrade process further.

I know this is a lot to take in but if anyone has recommendations on the path forward I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2020

Hi @Barry DeZonia ! How are you doing?

According to documentation, you would migrate it directly from your current version:

5.0 to 7.x = Upgrade directly to the latest version of Confluence 7.

My sugestion would be:

• Create a new staging environment with CentOS 7
  • Take a snapshot of your production database
  • Install MySQL 5.7 in this new staging environment and restore this snapshot
  • Install latest version of Confluence in the staging machine
  • Copy CONFLUENCE_HOME content from production to staging and also apply any customization you have made in CONFLUENCE_INSTALL dir
  • Start and test the new installation
  • When finished testing, do the same process in the new production machine

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events