Login with Google authentication only

Kyriacos Georgiou June 25, 2018

Hello,

I have an interesting setup where I allow any user in my domain to signup/login for Confluence. That's absolutely fine because we use to login with the Google authentication for which I have 2FA enabled. Actually I want to enforce that.

However, historically some accounts were created manually with username and password.

Doing that though, means a user can login either with Confluence credentials or with Google credentials for the same account.

The question is, can I disable the Confluence credentials/login in an attempt to enforce all of them to use the Google login?

Thanks,

K.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo B_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

Hello @Kyriacos Georgiou,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

In the Cloud environment, you can enforce log in through Google by integrating with your G Suite, may I ask if you have a G Suite serving your user base? This link below talks about what it is:

Following that, if you have G Suite, you can make the integration, you would enforce log in through Google Auth and also have auto-provisioning/deprovisioning of users based on your G groups synced to the Cloud site, the documentation below helps you understand more about the subject:

Keep me posted!

Thank you,

Rodrigo Becker
Atlassian Cloud Support

Kyriacos Georgiou June 25, 2018

Perfect. It all went very smooth with the integration and also enforced the Google authentication login. 

Exactly what I wanted!

Thanks!

Rodrigo B_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

You are welcome @Kyriacos Georgiou, thanks for getting back and accepting the answer :)

2 votes
Lionel Adams June 11, 2019

My G-Suite integration isn't configured yet, but it's forcing the users I invite to use Google authentication.  However right now, we're testing Jira Cloud in preparation for moving from server to cloud, and I want to be able to use some generic group email logins as users for testing purposes?  How can I allow login without Google?

1 vote
Jackson Lum August 23, 2018

When I setup an evaluation Atlassian Cloud instance, I didn't turn on G-Suite integration. Even so, I was able to setup users that have google accounts. And these users are able to logon to my atlassian cloud instance using their google accounts. Is that a supported feature? From all the documentation I read, it says GSuite integration has to be turned on. However, in our case, it is working without G-Suite integration.

Rodrigo B_
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2018

To log in with Google is a feature available to all Atlassian accounts that are Google based, they can still log in using the Atlassian account credentials too.

The difference is that with G Suite, the users are enforced to log in with Google Auth, they won't be able to log in using the Atlassian account's credentials.

I found that this documentation which could clarify it, is not really being that clear, is this the one you've read? Or is there another place not clarifying the feature as well? We will request for an update:

Thanks,

RB

Jackson Lum August 24, 2018

Hi @Rodrigo B_ , yes I read that article too. It says "once you have connected your atlassian cloud  instance to Gsuite..." . That's the step that I didn't do. I just wanted to make sure that it is a supported feature to login with Gsuite account even though our instance doesn't have GSuite integration turned on. I believe you have confirmed for me. Thank you. 

Rodrigo B_
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2018

No problem @Jackson Lum, thanks for the confirmation!

1 vote
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

Dont disable the confluence user directory, disable the manually created accounts.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events