Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login to Confluence for external users, nologin for internal users

Kubo Grznarik May 19, 2013

Is it possible to setup Confluence in the way that users that come from Internet will be prompted with login screen and users which come from internal network will be automatically confluence-users?

5 answers

0 votes
miguel gaytan December 13, 2016

I'am looking for a similar solution but i can't figure out how achive this.

We want anonymous access to read for all from internal network, but because our content have some confidential info and is necessary protect with password from external side.

Dara Hogan December 6, 2018

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have the same need: to allow anonymous access inside a corporate network but require login when accessed from external source. Running Confluence Server.

many thanks,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2018

Yes, many times, but they all depend on whatever the user directory, SSO and networking systems are.

Dara Hogan December 6, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply Nic.

My user directory is AD. Not using SSO (yet!).

and I'm not too sure on the networking but we can config firewall's by IP as necessary.

I've enabled anonymous view access to our Confluence Intranet. This is only available on the internal network. I want to put it public, but require a login when public, but keep the anonymous internally.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks,

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2014

That's the point - to do it within Confluence, you have to have a mechanism that allows Confluence to identify when a user is inside your network. There are so many variations possible on this, there's no way to code a generic approach, and the vast majority of Confluence users don't need it anyway. So there's nothing in Confluence to do it. If you have this working in Confluence already, then someone has written something and added it to Confluence. It'll probably be taking information from the network connection the user is using as well

0 votes
Nick Kight October 20, 2014

I have the same question. Years ago (Confluence 3.0.1) we had this set up for our intranet instance of Confluence, though I'm having trouble seeing how (within confluence). The idea is that internal network users are employees and most of the site is accessible without logging in (95%), only content editors really need log in, and all users from outside of our network. Basically, we want to allow anonymous access (view only) from inside our network, and not from outside our network. All users are required to log in to view the instance from off campus. I'm confident it is possible, since we did it way back when.

0 votes
DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

The internal user would still have to login... I'm not sure what you want to achieve here.

I guess you could set something up that would force external users to login and let all internal users in without authenticating. But not with confluence alone. And people would still have to login at some point, either when they need to access a space with restricted access or when they want to create new pages or spaces. I would also strongly recommend against letting anonymous users create content in your confluence installation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2013

You're right - a user will have to identify themselves somewhere. My guess was that "internal" users would be logging in with internal SSO or something, that's why I asked about the current authentication and identification system.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2013

Probably, but it depends on how you are doing authentication and identification at the moment?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events