Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logic of searching results in Confluence??

Martin Flury December 2, 2022

Our Confluence Space is named "CP20-0442-M3 ...."

I got it tha Confluence can not handle the - in the space name, but I don't get it why I do find the space when searching 0442 but but not when searching 442 ??

example 10.png

Some other examples with searching for:

20-044 -> no resutls found
20-0442 -> CP20-0442-M3 ... is being found
Why is 20-044 not being found? and with just one digit more 20-0442 is getting a result?!example 9.pngexample 13.png

I don't get the logic of this search syntax.

And why is Jira and Confluence searching so different, if both are using Lucene?
Fist picture searching in Confluence, seccond picture searching in Jira.
Just WHY?

example 15.png

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Lucene does not search in one single way, it can be used to index things differently

In Jira, you're using a search coded for fragments and it's been asked to do some numeric searches.  Confluence focuses on words, so 0442 and 442 look like very different words to it.

Martin Flury December 12, 2022

So if you to not type in the complet word (correctly), Confluence won't finde it?
Even with *442 I do not get a result.
It is a bit frustrating that confluence does not allow leading wildcards.

User-friendly would be, if I know a section of the space name, that *442* would bring some searching results, no matter what's befor or after 442. 

A workaround is using /.*442.*/, but this is a ver unsexy solution I have to explain to our users how to search in Confluence.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022
Martin Flury December 12, 2022

Thanks for this link, found that also.

I don't like the fact the Confluence is not allowing leading wildcards.

And probably we are screwed the way we name our spaces.
As our machine serialnumbers are set up in sections, divided with minus (CP12-3456-78).
Minus (-) in a search has its own function (exclude) ... 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events