Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logged in Users in Confluence 5.5.3

Phil Lochner July 15, 2014

How can I determine which users are currently logged into Confluence? We are on 5.5.3 using the MySQL connector.

I don't need to know "when they last logged in" - I need to know who is logged in right now, either browsing the wiki, making edits, etc. I'm planning on rebooting the server a few times during business hours over the next few days and I need to know who I'll be kicking out, before I do it.

We use Confluence as an Intranet in a business with less than 100 people so if someone is still logged in when I want to work on the server, I can call or email them to let them know.

Thanks!

9 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014

The problem here is that the interface is a web-based one, so it's hard to tell "who is logged on". "last login time" and "last edit" are about the only information you have available.

As an obvious example, I log in, then close my browser to do something else. Confluence gave my browser the pages I asked for, but it has no way of knowing that I've closed the browser. Do I still count as "logged in"?

The only real way you can do this is to keep refreshing the activity widget, or for a more complex (but highly accurate) record, tail the access logs in real time.

3 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2014

Hi Phil,

You can determine which users are currently logged into Confluence by using User List Macro.

More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEAP/User+List+Macro

Cheers!

0 votes
David Hergert _PAYX_ January 16, 2017

I would suggest you install Google Analytics and then use the Active Users view to see how many people (and possibly who if you set it up correctly, although Google Analytics TOS does not allow personally identifiable information to be sent to Google, ie username, but you could send some ID that helps you identify).

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6171863?hl=en

0 votes
Paula Dasch August 25, 2014

Hi everyone, there is a feature request for this matter https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34176

0 votes

Thanks everyone, got it sorted out. Neither Activity Widget nor the User Macro quite solves the problem 100% for me, but using a combination of those I can get a fairly good idea of who's in the system right now doing something important like editing an article.

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2014

Good to know! :)

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2014

Phil,

You need Administrator permission to enable the display online/offline users filter in the macro.

Also you need to be on the appropriate roles (the right permissions) to see the results.
Because being an admin does not mean that you can access things but that you have the power to administrate.

0 votes

Unfortunately, no luck with the User List Macro. The User-lister System plugin is enabled.

All I get is:

No results were found for groups : confluence-users

On the off chance that absolutely nobody is currently using Confluence right now, this should at least show myself as logged in, right?

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2014

Yeah, then I guess Nic's suggestion is more appropriate for you. :)

0 votes

Ah, excellent points. I'll mess around with the activity widget and the user macro and see if I can get it to do what I want. Sadly the User List Macro requires me to restart Confluence to get the Online users part working, which well, brings me to the question of who's logged in before I restart.. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events