Daniel Elias May 23, 2024

Hi,

We are considering building a knowledgebase in Confluence for our customers but we would not want to make it public to everyone searching the link but rather make it available to our named users of our application (Not Jira-confluence users).

Somewhere in between user groups and anonymous access.

Is that possible?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2024

Hi @Daniel Elias 

There's this app Scroll Viewport by K15t which creates a doc center (KB if you prefer) for you from a Confluence space.

From your standpoint, it can do two thing that set it apart.

• It can create a doc center from a private Confluence space (the one that does not have the anonymous access enabled in permissions.)
  • You can put your Viewport site behind your SSO. 
    • That means that if your customers are using some form of federated login into your ecosystem (when you are effectively acting as the SSO provider so they can access your platform, your LMS, support, etc.), they should be able to access your Viewport site.

We're using Viewport and SSO for out internal documentation site (a sister site of our public docs). 

Daniel Elias May 24, 2024

Thank you Kristian. I will take a look and see if this could work with our SSO framework. Sounds promising!

D

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2024

Sure @Daniel Elias 

Also, check Viewport docs, there's also a Token login option but I have no idea how that works.

Like Daniel Elias likes this
0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2024

Hi @Daniel Elias,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It depends, your license plan allows you to add up to 5 guests for each license you have, see this article for more information. The limit is that guests can only have access to a single space. So if your Knowledge would be under one space then this would work. But if you have more non Confluence/Jira users that needs access to it then your only option would be to enable anonymous users in order for them to be able to access it. 

Daniel Elias May 23, 2024

Thank you for clarifying. We would need a substantially higher amount of guests to do this.

im sure I am not the first one to ask though, right? 

the idea here is to make it “public” but have security access management over our knowledge base. Is this something you have ever considered?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2024

The most cases I have seen for KBs are all public ones, I know IBM was having theirs behind access control linked to your license, but I think that solution was their own. The only option that I can think of would be to use JSM, but the KBs that you can present on the portal is limited before the user have to search for them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events