Local confluence fails to start with error "Unable to access jarfile C:\Program"

I have just downloaded the latest version of confluence and installed it on my PC (windows 10). I chose not to install it as a service and it did not start up automatically like the documentation suggested it should. I then wnet into the confluence/bin folder and manually ran the startup batch file there but got the following error:

"Using Java: C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.8.0_111\bin\java.exe"
Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Program
Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Program
"---------------------------------------------------------------------------"
Using CATALINA_BASE: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence"
Using CATALINA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\temp"
Using JRE_HOME: "C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.8.0_111"
Using CLASSPATH: "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"

I originally had a problem with my JAVA_HOME path and a space, which I have now fixed using the tilda as you can see above. But it is now not able to handle spaces for the jar files it is trying to run. Any help with this would be great thanks.

2 answers

0 vote

Did you find a solution to this?  I'm hitting the same error when I try to use the stop-confluence batch file.

0 vote

Windows does not handle spaces in directory names well, and installers fall down when they're used.

Either install the software in one of the recommended paths (one with no spaces in the name), or change the environment so that the actual paths are used instead of the names.

In the question, you can see the JRE_HOME uses an actual path, but the rest of the lines use the names.  Change set-env.bat (and others in the bin directory) so that they use Progra~1 instead of Program Files

Thanks Nic, I figured it out after I posted.  Shame that not all the variables are set in the set-env.bat.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,367 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you