cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load test for Confluence

Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2013

Hi,

I saw that the load tests, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF52/Performance+Testing+Scripts, are not supported for Confluence 5.2.

How is Confluence load tested now?

Is it possible to get these test?

Regards,

Michael Danielsson

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2013

Based on this post, it should work on latest version. You may comment otherwise.

Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2013

Hi,

Even if it should work this time it is a problem to not now if it will work on the next version.

Performance tests are run to compare diffent versions.

How is Attlassian testing the performance?

I thougt they used this scripts.

Regards,

Michael Danielsson

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea January 6, 2014

The test data cannot be imported back in Confluence because was made long time ago and it's not compatible with Confluence 5.1+.

I would have to add that load/stress-testing for confluence cannot be implemented properly using Jmeter because it does not support JavaScript. It seems that the product does lots of AJAX calls, especially the visual editor.

I guess that's the reason why Atlassian dropped jmetter. More and an year ago Atlassian declared that they are working on re-implementing the stress tests differently..., and surprise they decided to implement their own test framework... which was never released.

Another "success" of the not-invented-here syndrome...

Regarding your question: because writing a proper stress-test for confluence is not something easy and especially because Confluence is commercial product (some would argue quite expensive) that was supposed to have this as part of the QA process, this being the only way that would allow a company to release new versions without creating outages for the customers.

You may find interesting to read http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/06/performance-and-soke/

PS. Yes, if Atlassian would pay me to write the stress-test, I would probably like to do it. But as a customer, no way, I am already spending too much time trying to workaround product bugs.

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2014

This scripts use JMeter, which is not hard to install and configure by itself. Why not write your own scripts?

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea January 6, 2014

As of today, current version of Confluence does not have any load-tests available. Same was 6 months ago, but it seems the the product is so stable (sic) that it doesn't need them. It seems that we were the only client that failed an upgrade from 3.x to 5.x due to system instability.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events