Linking to anchor in a blog post from a different page does NOT work

Wade Weston October 15, 2020

I am trying to create a link, from a regular page, to and anchor in a blog post. It is not working. I create the anchor in the blog post. Then I go to the regular page and I select the text I want to create the link for, click to create a link button, then go to advanced. Then I enter the "pageName#anchorName" then save.

Then I go the the regular page where I created the link to test it. I am expecting it to take me to the blog poast > anchor location. It does not work.

It actually goes to a blank page with the pageName in the title.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Wade Weston October 18, 2020

Thanks. Not sure what a "web link" is in this case. The only way to link to a specific section of a page, to my knowledge, is an anchor.  Anyway not a big deal I just went ahead and converted all of the blog posts to regular pages. The blog capability in Atlassian is way too basic and not very good anyway so I didn't really want to use it for that reason. 

I ended up trying it out and got a little bit further into it than I wanted to and then of course this came up so I just scratched it.

Thanks

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

Sorry - I was not sure about linking to a specific part of the page, than of course only anchor would work. So you're absolutly right. 

Web link was the only option for me linking to a blog post. 

According to the length of blog posts as you mentioned your solution would be the next thing I would have mentioned (convert to regular page) - I only use blog post to teaser to new pages and keep it as short and simple as possible. 

Cheers

0 votes
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hi @Wade Weston 

welcome to this wonderful community.

I find your problem pretty interesting - gave it a try and made the same experience. 

My question would be: Why would you use an anchor link? I think the problem might be that a blogpost is not a typical page (that's why using pageName#anchorName won't probably not work) and that's why you won't find blogposts on sitestructure to rearrange them. 

An easy work around would be using web link instead of anchor link - maybe this could help you?

Feel free to ask for help - and please keep me informed if you find a solution. I really find this interesting cause I never thought of this before. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events