Linking to a local file

Andrew Honacker June 21, 2013

Is there a way to link to a local file?

I've tried adding a web link to:

file://server/library/testFile.mov

But it doesn't work. Putting that link directly into the browser however works fine.

We have a lot of large quicktimes and other files on our local file servers that we would like our users to be able to open from the page links.

Thanks

-andrew

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
fsim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2013

Hey Andrew, this is explained here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Can%27t+Link+to+Local+Files+from+within+Confluence

A number of resolution in there depending on your browser, as this seems to be a browser restriction (even if you put the link via the HTML macro with the following, it will still not work):

<a href = "file://path/to/file">test</a>

Foogie

0 votes

Regarding Firefox, please note the documentation page still mentions LocalLink while there is a much more efficient solution available : Local Filesystem Links by austrALIENsun

This plug-in allows Firefox users to open the links directly within the OS explorer. I'd like to find the same for Chrome (which unfortunately is the main browser used by my teams)!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events