Linking from Confluence-generated CHM file to an external HTML file?

Dave Sweetser December 19, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Links

Presuming I generate a CHM file from my Confluence pages, can I link from the CHM file to an external HTML file (in the same folder as the CHM file)?

If so, how would this be done?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2016

Yes.

I'm not sure we can tell you more than that.  If you link to a url in a confluence page, that's fine, but whatever you're doing to generate a chm file from it will need to understand how that link works and what you want it to do when it generates the file.

Dave Sweetser December 20, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer.  However, I don't think I understood any of the answer.  I'm not trying to "link to a URL in a Confluence page".  I'm trying to link to an external HTML file, something like Introduction.html.  I'm trying to link to the external HTML file from within the Confluence-generated CHM file.  So, graphically, it's this:

CHM file ---> HTML file

I presume the contents of the HTML file will be displayed within the CHM file viewer.

So, my question is: From Confluence, how do I link to an external HTML file?  Again, the external HTML file will be in the same folder as the Confluence-generated CHM file.  The external HTML file will not be on a file server, it will be local.  It will not be accessed via a URL, there's no web server involved.  It's just an HTML file sitting next to the Confluence-generated CHM file.

Thanks for any further thoughts you have on this.

Dave

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2016

I'm not sure I can say it any other way.

You put a link into the Confluence page to <wherever your html file is going to be>.   Whatever is converting the Confluence page to CHM should then include that link.

If your converter process is not going to do any processing for you, then that link will have to be verbatim - you will need to put in exactly what you expect to come out in the chm file.  I don't know how chm might store and handle links to other local files, it's not my field.  If your converter is clever enough, then you'll need to give it what it expects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events