Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link to undefined page with new Confluence editor

Aron Brand December 3, 2019

Hi,

I heavily rely on links to undefined pages as explained here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/undefined-page-links-139580.html

However I found no way to achieve this in the new confluence editor ...

Is this a known issue ? 

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Mannion December 4, 2019

I asked this same question, coincidentally on the same day. Including a link to keep these posts together: How to link to undefined page 

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2019

Hi Aron,

This is a feature hasn't yet made it to the new editor, but we're currently working on to include in our new editor going forward.

You can review our Roadmap below:

You can see here that it is currently on our short-term backlog. If you'd like you can track its progress here:

• CONFCLOUD-67129 Link to an undefined page (a page that doesn't exist yet)

The workaround that is listed is the following:

As this is not a native feature in the new editor for now, we can keep using our undefined links by opening them on a new tab (right-clicking over the link and selecting this option, or CTRL + Right Click / COMMAND + Right Click).

To insert an undefined link on a page with the new editor, create a link with this address:

https://SITE_NAME.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=SPACEKEY 

Let me know if you have any trouble or questions about that!

Regards,

Shannon

Aron Brand December 5, 2019

Shannon, did you try the workaround ? Because it definitely does not work. It results in a page that cannot be saved.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2019

Hi Aron,

Can you show me the error you're getting when you try to save the page? I have tested the workaround and I can confirm it works to create a new page.

This workaround is very basic; it won't allow you to specify the page title or update the link once you've created the page. It will just send you to the create page action where you can create a page as you normally would.

If the URL doesn't work for you, make sure to update the URL to match your Confluence site, and SPACEKEY should be changed to the key of the desired space.

I understand this is not ideal and doesn't get you close to the behavior of the missing feature. If you need this right now, then you might want to consider having a look at some of the available add-ons, such as Linking for Confluence

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon 

Aron Brand December 5, 2019

The whole point of this feature is to update the link once you've created the page. We have a page with hundreds of such links which employees need to fill. It's unmanageable this way.  Looking forward for getting back this feature.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2019

Hi Aron,

Thank you for your follow-up.

Yes, I understand since the workaround doesn't actually meet the requirements of the feature, that it's not a good fit for many who require it.

You may be able to get the Create from Template macro to work for you in this case, but other than that, we'll need to wait see what happens with the feature request.

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events