edwin July 31, 2019
How do I share a template with a link?

14 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2019

Hello Edwin,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you.

It's not possible to share a template with a link. If you need someone to edit a specific template, then you will want to tell them the name of the template and where it's located (i.e. which space, or if it's a global template.)

If you want users to create a specific template, you can use the Create from Template Macro in a page.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

6 votes
Dan Crosby January 12, 2023

@Sam Lucas  I just created a new template and the team that I want to use this is completely non technical.   If I can't give them a link that will immediately start a new document based on that template, then I can almost guarantee that they will not use Confluence.

6 votes
Suzanne Kafantaris April 12, 2022

Atlassian has filled our Confluence with third-party templates that we never use because we can't direct people to them from wiki text. I can't believe I have to write instructions into a wiki page telling people how to go find a template for their documentation instead of just linking to the danged template. I get that you want to use an instance instead of the source template (which is, pointlessly, linkable). So how about letting me create a template with a button on the page that lets the user make a quick new copy, so I can at least link to the instance? 

2 votes
Dan Crosby May 17, 2023

Worse yet, because there once was a workaround for doing this as noted by @Austin G, Confluence admin's who desire this capability are likely to stumble across old documentation on the Internet and fruitlessly waste a couple hours experimenting with dozens of URL combinations,  and wondering what they are doing wrong, and never quite knowing if it is their failure or a true Confluence restriction. 

2 votes
Austin G May 17, 2023

@Sam Lucas it means that you can get a hyperlink to a specific article after you've created it, but there is no way to create that new article using a template by simply clicking a hyperlink.  

The "create from template" macro works great from within confluence... But it is limited to within confluence.  There used to be a hack way of doing this by using a url template i.e. https://[confluence]/pages/createpage-entervariables.action?templateId=123456789&spaceKey=[spaceID]&title=GPYYNNNN&newSpaceKey=[spaceKey]. 

Being able to link from outside sources (say a workflow in slack) lowers the barrier to entry for creating new content pages for the "less technical" folk as @Dan Crosby pointed out. 

0 votes
Nikhil Owalekar July 10, 2023

@Dan Crosby  A couple of hours? More like a couple of weeks! I have been banging my head against a wall since the create-new-page / link-to-an-existing-page stopped working a couple of months ago. I was a bit relieved to see that it's not just me who tried countless combinations of query parameters, for which I could not find any documentation anywhere 😓

I wasn't even using a template. I was just trying to create a new page under a parent page. And now the createpage.action always takes me to a new blank page, even if the page with that name already exists under the parent page. SMH

At this point I'm seriously considering moving the runbooks outside of Confluence.

0 votes
Austin G May 23, 2023

I had it implemented and working for awhile.  I recently found that there's an error in the redirect though... something gets tied up between the hyperlink URL and the creation of a new page using the template.  Errors out and then creates a generic page instead.

0 votes
Dan Crosby May 23, 2023

All I can say is that I wasted a couple of hours trying to implement those suggestions that I found, and I am not aware of anyone else having success on this lately.   

0 votes
Dan Crosby March 20, 2023

For someone reasonably technical already using Confluence I agree.   For non technical users who need extra motivation just to go looking for a button, it can be the difference in whether or not a technology actually gets utilized.

0 votes
Dung L March 16, 2023

The "Create from template" macro will do exactly what is requested here.  There's going to be a button instead of a link  When clicked will create the a new page from the specified template.  The only obstacle is having to specified the templet in the macro instead of just pasting a link.  

0 votes
Sam Lucas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2022

Hi @Suzanne Kafantaris ! Great feedback here! I am the new Templates lead and excited to dig into our wonderful community feedback!

• Have you explored using the Create From Template Macro? This way, you can add a button to your pages that lets a user immediately create a new page with your defined template of choice! 
  • Can you help me understand what "I get that you want to use an instance instead of the source template (which is, pointlessly, linkable)" means? I am really curious here. 

Thank you so much for your time! I see that sharing templates is very important to our users. 

0 votes
Rory Partalis January 26, 2022

Agreed. Too many templates and not easy to direct people to the right template to use. Would be nice if they could be linked somehow.

0 votes
Jules September 15, 2021

Ditto

0 votes
Sarah June 20, 2020

Checking in to see if this is still the case or if there is now a way to do this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events