Link on IDs in 2 different tabels vice versa

Markus Kemmer December 21, 2020

I have two tables with information, each with IDs. One table contains open items , the other resolutions. I reference the two tables with each other via the IDs, I want to provide these IDs with links so that one automatically jumps to the row of the other table. How do I do that?

Example:
Tab1 | ID 10 | Ref-ID-T2 20
Tab2 | ID 20 | Ref-ID-T1 10

Expectation:
Clicking on Ref-ID2 20 in Tab1 should call the ID 20 in Tab2 and clicking on Ref-ID1 10 in Tab2 should call the ID 10 in Tab1.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2020

Hello @Markus Kemmer !

As I understand, you need to create links referencing different parts of your page. As of today, this is not a feature available in the native tables for Confluence cloud.

Currently, what you can do is manually create headings on one of the tables and then use the link created on those headings to link them somewhere else.

Here is an excerpt about “Link to a heading on a page or another page” from our “Insert links and anchors” document for Confluence Cloud:

Heading links use a combination of the three-character space identifier and the page ID along with the page name and header name.

If you only need to get the URL that takes viewers to a heading, do the following:

1.     Navigate to the page and scroll down to the heading.
  2.     Hover over the heading to reveal the link icon to the left of the heading.
  3.     Click the link icon to copy the link.
  4.     Navigate to and edit the page where you want to link to the heading.
  5.     Paste the URL in the link tool pop-up, and give it a more friendly name if desired.

If you need to create several links to headings on a page, it’s more efficient to get the page URL and construct the heading portion yourself.

1.     Navigate to and view the page containing the heading.
  2.     Copy the page URL for future use. Keep in mind that the page URL capitalization must match the page title capitalization. Spaces in the page title are replaced with a plus ( + ).
  3.     Make note of all the exact headings that to which you want to link.
  4.     Navigate to and edit the page where you want to link to the headings.
  5.     Paste the page URL in the link tool pop-up, add the page heading title, and give it a more friendly name if desired. Keep in mind that the heading part of the URL must match the capitalization of the page heading. Spaces in the heading title are replaced with a hyphen ( - ).
  6.     Repeat Step 6 until you’ve created all the heading links needed.

Having this feature at hand, here is what we can do:

1. Create your page
  2. Create the tables
  3. Format the text within the table as a “Heading”(ranges from Heading 1 all the way through 6. Six being the smallest)
  4. Publish the page
  5. Copy the heading links and save them somewhere (a simple text editor should work for this)
  6. Go into edit mode again
  7. Go over to the other table and then use the heading links to create link within the desired table cells

Here is our Documentation on Links for Confluence Cloud:

Let us hear from you!

Markus Kemmer December 28, 2020

Dear Diego , thanks for the answer

but what I need are links on the IDs (see both tables below) and clicking on the ID brings the link to the appropriate row of the other table.

This does not work with the steps above.

Any more ideas?

Regards MarkusLink_viceversa_Tab_row_to_row.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events