Latest security vulnerability

Dave Drexler September 10, 2012

Hi - regarding https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Security+Advisory+2012-09-11

It's not practical for us to upgrade our site at this time, but a patch has not been produced for this issue. What are our options to mitigate the problem?

3 answers

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Hello Julie,

Yes, it is vulnerable, as explained in the security advisory, this vulnerability affects all versions of Confluence earlier than 4.1.8 and it has been fixed in Confluence 4.1.9 and later.

Regarding the 3.5.x, the latest version would be the 3.5.17 version and if you're planning to upgrade your instance we would suggest you to upgrade to a more recent version (4.3.x).

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

LJ.

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Appreciate if you could tag your questions. :)

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

Hi Dave,

We only release patches for Critical security issues, but this one has only been designated as High risk so there isn't a patch released with this security advisory. I also see that there doesn't appear to be any suggestions for mitigate this issue, but the XSS issues affect cookies so I believe that this vulnerability goes to the core of the application and therefore the only mitigation is to upgrade. Of course if your Confluence isn't exposed to the internet then you are at less risk of malicious attack, but the XSS issue would still remain a threat to people who have access to the network. Although I think the best way of mitigating the threat from XSS attacks is to understand how they work, as this is always the easiest to prevent attacks: http://www.cgisecurity.com/articles/xss-faq.shtml

All the best,
John

jmpetersen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 10, 2012

Is Confluence 3.5.16 vulnerable? If so, will there be a new 3.5.x release?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events