LDAP authentication with Active Directory not working - Help with troubleshooting

Göran Törnqvist August 2, 2011

Hi,
I ve been trying to test a connection to our Active Directory using both Confluence and paddle-6.jar / atlassian-user.xml and JExplorer but whatever I try, I get error AuthenticationException and error code 52e invalid credentials.

This is basically my settings.

<host>dc1.office.local</host>
<port>389</port>
<securityPrincipal>uid=Confluence,ou=Service Accounts,ou=Users,ou=xxx,ou=xxx,dc=office,dc=local</securityPrincipal
<securityCredential>--------</securityCredential>
<securityProtocol>plain</securityProtocol>
<securityAuthentication>simple</securityAuthentication>
<baseContext>dc=office,dc=local</baseContext>

I ve been playing around with all kinds of different DNs + moved the account to the top Users node in AD so my guess its something else.

Need help troubleshooting. Could it be a setting in our Active Directory preventing the connection?
At the moment I don t have any Active Directory Admin to ask...

Thanks...

2 answers

1 vote
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2011

For AD you will do better using a login name (security principal) formatted like loginname@xyz.local The full DN doesn't work in a lot of situations.

For you, this should be confluence@office.local based on what you posted.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2011

I was about to suggest this - spot on.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

If you can't bind to the ldap server using JXplorer it's just a case of "contact your admins". The principal DN or password or both is wrong... Not much point in trying to get it working with confluence til you've got past this point.

Göran Törnqvist August 2, 2011

Ok, thanks.

The AD admins won t be around for a few weeks so I guess its up to me to find the answer :(

If anyone have any idea on what settings in AD I should check, I would be grateful - policy settings etc etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events