Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDAP and licensing

horihel November 6, 2012

I'm currently evaluating Confluence and Jira and have a few questions. I know similar questions have been answered here before - i just wanted to know if my approach would be possible with the licensing scheme.

We have about 80 users in LDAP, but are intending less than 25 users for confluence and probably less than 10 for jira. Both Jira and Confluence have problems resolving groups from LDAP at the moment - users work right. Would the following be possible:
* I synchronize all users from LDAP, but don't add them to the group confluence-users (or jira-users) by default (ldap scheme is "Read only with local groups").

* I add only those users we want to use confluence/jira to the group "confluence-users" (or jira-users) manually.

Now technically users not belonging to any group can still login - they can't do anything though. So how would this count on the license?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

Hi Horihel,

Users who aren't members of any group should not be able to login at all, so if they can login then there is a problem in your configuration. However, licensing works by counting each user who can login to the application as a user that counts against your license so you should ensure that any users that you don't wish to count against your license then you should ensure they are not members of any groups in the application.

All the best,
John

horihel November 6, 2012

well a user without a group can definitely login on my server - but when logged in he only receives "forbidden" on any page he tries to access. He has less rights than the anonymous user.

Unfortunately I can't see yet if that user is counted on the license, because the eval only shows "unlimited"

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

You can find a 10 user non-evaluation license here to test this theory (it's only valid for 3 hours after each restart).

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Timebomb+Licenses+for+Testing

horihel November 6, 2012

Aaah thanks a lot - so I can confirm: Though users can login (but not do anything), the license count actually counts only against users who are in the confluence-users group.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events