LDAP Membership information not being retrieved

Charlie Barker October 19, 2011

We are using Confluence Version 4.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1

User Directories Config
=================
Confluence Internal Directory Internal
Upgraded atlassian-user LDAP (ldapRepository) Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)

We see AD users and Groups but membership information is not displayed. In a space we can grant permissions to an AD group but members of that group cannot access the space.

If anyone has an idea on how we could resolve this I would be eternally grateful.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Barker November 15, 2011

This was caused by the the user information being authenticated by the wrong database. In Jira, we use three databases at the moment. There is the internal database, LDAP authentication database for our London users and Active directory authentication for our SA users. So, to resolve this, we deleted the affected users which at the time were pointing to either the internal database or LDAP London database and their account were automatically synced into wiki and jira, pointing to the right LDAP database for authentication.

1 vote
Manse Wolken
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2011

I tried to use the memberOf parameter and got no results.

So i did stay with the "normal" use, telling Confluence the additional user and group dn, and made sure that i used the richt attribute for groupmembership. In my case (OpenDS): uniqueMember

I think the memberOf Feature should speed up things, because Confluence shoud not have to search every Group for membership.

But i don't know in which cases this feature works.

Good luck

Manse

0 votes
Manse Wolken
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2011

Well I haven't enabled "memberOf" in none of the Confluence and Jira Instances that I administrate.

And as LDAP Server: We use OpenDS.

But for OpenDS we use "uniqueMember" for the "Group member" attribute, rest like AD.

For Active Directory I use:

Enabled Nested Groups

"member" as "Group member" attribute

"memberOf" as group-membership attribute (the second field in the group membership options)

DISABELD both cases on "Use of 'memberOf'

Apache Directory Studio seems to use a bit different type of LDAP searches. There the memberOf feature works, with AD and OpenDS.

Was that of helpful? or do you need more Info?

0 votes
Kimberly McKinnis October 19, 2011

Not so helpful, but I'm also struggling with this with openLDAP and Linux. I'm unsure if it's even a supported feature, am subscribing to this question :)

I should add that I have tried using the memberOf parameter, but it returns blank, even though I can view the list of groups, with both OpenLDAP and ApacheDS :( Have you done the same?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events