LDAP Membership information not being retrieved

We are using Confluence Version 4.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1

User Directories Config
=================
Confluence Internal Directory Internal
Upgraded atlassian-user LDAP (ldapRepository) Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)

We see AD users and Groups but membership information is not displayed. In a space we can grant permissions to an AD group but members of that group cannot access the space.

If anyone has an idea on how we could resolve this I would be eternally grateful.

4 answers

1 accepted

This was caused by the the user information being authenticated by the wrong database. In Jira, we use three databases at the moment. There is the internal database, LDAP authentication database for our London users and Active directory authentication for our SA users. So, to resolve this, we deleted the affected users which at the time were pointing to either the internal database or LDAP London database and their account were automatically synced into wiki and jira, pointing to the right LDAP database for authentication.

I tried to use the memberOf parameter and got no results.

So i did stay with the "normal" use, telling Confluence the additional user and group dn, and made sure that i used the richt attribute for groupmembership. In my case (OpenDS): uniqueMember

I think the memberOf Feature should speed up things, because Confluence shoud not have to search every Group for membership.

But i don't know in which cases this feature works.

Good luck

Manse

Not so helpful, but I'm also struggling with this with openLDAP and Linux. I'm unsure if it's even a supported feature, am subscribing to this question :)

I should add that I have tried using the memberOf parameter, but it returns blank, even though I can view the list of groups, with both OpenLDAP and ApacheDS :( Have you done the same?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory

Well I haven't enabled "memberOf" in none of the Confluence and Jira Instances that I administrate.

And as LDAP Server: We use OpenDS.

But for OpenDS we use "uniqueMember" for the "Group member" attribute, rest like AD.

For Active Directory I use:

Enabled Nested Groups

"member" as "Group member" attribute

"memberOf" as group-membership attribute (the second field in the group membership options)

DISABELD both cases on "Use of 'memberOf'

Apache Directory Studio seems to use a bit different type of LDAP searches. There the memberOf feature works, with AD and OpenDS.

Was that of helpful? or do you need more Info?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Calling all marketing teams who use Confluence - we want to hear from you!

Hi Community! me again 🙂 If you’re a marketing team using Confluence, we want to hear your story! How did you start using Confluence? What are your use cases? What have been some of the benefits?...

194 views 3 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you