Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knowledgebase Self Hosted

Brent Rogers October 16, 2019

We are using the full Atlassian suite in the cloud. 

We are interested in setting up a self hosted Confluence Knowledgebase.

Is there any documentation that covers self hosting a Knowledgebase?

We are looking for setup instructions and requirements. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2019

Hello Brent,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

In order to host Confluence on your end, you'll need to order a license for Confluence Server version.

The guide to installing this on your server is available here: 

There are also some minimum server requirements to consider:

You will also want to compare the differences between Atlassian Cloud and Server.

Is there a particular reason or requirement you have that is forcing you to move to the Server version of Confluence? Anything I could help you with?

Regards,

Shannon

Brent Rogers October 18, 2019

Hey Shannon!

The idea behind deploying the self hosted Knowledgebase (KB) is to get around a few issues that we foresee.

We want all employees in our organization to be able to view our KB with out needing accounts to access it. (We only have/need a hand full of actual Atlassian account users who will be creating/writing to this KB. We will be managing their permissions like any of our other Atlassian spaces/projects/etc. ) In the event of turnover in the future as the KB grows we do not want to be managing access individually for these new/old employees/users.  We also do not want the KB to be public facing in any way. 

If there is a way to manage permissions to a KB that would allow basically any users without User Accounts to be able to view the KB all while not having it be accessed by anyone outside of our organization and remain in the cloud we would not be opposed to setting that up instead.

If a setup/configuration like this is possible in the cloud can you please point me in the direction of that information. 

Thanks,

Brent

Brent Rogers October 22, 2019

Hey Shannon,

I was just checking in to see if you had any more information regarding my last message. 

Thanks!

Brent

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2019

Hi Brent,

I'm still looking into this for you, I promise to reply to you as soon as I have any suggestions for you.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2019

Hi Brent,

Thank you for your patience, I was away at the end of last week but I have information for you regarding your requirements.

When you link a Confluence space to a Jira Service Desk customer portal, your Jira Service Desk customers will be able to access the articles in Confluence via the Customer Portal. Note that they will not be able to access Confluence directly without a Confluence license, which is what I understand you are looking to do.

There are two feature requests below related to this. The first states that currently, even if a space is anonymous, customers cannot access Confluence if they are logged in as a Jira user (unlicensed to use Confluence). 

The second states that if a user is a JSD customer, they cannot view Confluence content without a license.

• CONFCLOUD-35251 Unlicensed group of users with access to restricted areas, such as "Customers" in Service Desk
  • CONFCLOUD-68239 Jira service desk users are unable to load view images in Confluence pages that are KB article linked to JSD project when the confluence page is accessed directly

Both, if implemented, would allow a JSD customer to access Confluence directly. Please vote on the above feature requests and you will automatically be added to the watch list and receive updates on this in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events