Knowledge base using a custom field

Dylan Chadinha December 14, 2020

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could assist me, Is there a way you could make your articles appear without using "Summary", could you use a custom field?

I have hidden the "summary" on our helpdesk and hardcoded it as a specific header. e.g. "Data Call" , "IT Call". 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

The short answer is no.  

The summary field in Jira is there for a good reason and the knowledge base is built on the assumption that you are using the summary field for what it is intended for.

I would get rid of your hard-coding of the summary field.  It's a terrible thing to do even before you start looking at where the summary field is used for knowledge bases.  You're destroying or changing what your end users have spent time entering, and expect to be able to find and re-use unchanged.  Don't do that to people, they really don't like it.

Your "headers" sound like they are probably for reporting or classification which is not something you should be doing with the summary field.  It does not allow you to run a lot of the types of reports you want from a classification

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this? 

Dylan Chadinha December 14, 2020

Hi Nic,

To answer your question, I am just following orders on my side and trying to find a solution around the way our helpdesk is setup right now.

Thanks for the information, this does help me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

I would very strongly recommend that you undo all this hard coding, go back to whomever gave you those orders and explain that they are a really really bad thing to do, they break stuff, and make things hard for your end users, and probably don't even solve the problem.

Then go ask what the actual problem is, the one they are trying to solve by messing up their helpdesk.

Like Dylan Chadinha likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events