Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira macros not loading on Confluence

Gaj Umapathy February 28, 2020

Hi,

I've got Jira (8.5.x ) and Confluence 6.13.x both on DC which has an application link and Confluence has our Jira's gadget feed. All of a sudden our Jira gadgets have stopped working on Confluence. The only gadgets that work or the native gadgets like activity streams but not the ones like 'Issues in progress' or any other Jira gadgets. Strangely the eazyBi gadgets from Jira continue to work.

If I check the console output on the browser when adding a gadget or loading a page with a gadget on Confluence I get the below error:

Below is adding a Daplane report gadget:
{{
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot use 'in' operator to search for 'length' in /rest/dataplane/latest/gadget/startup.json
at p (batch.js?locale=en-UK:32)
at Function.each (batch.js?locale=en-UK:36)
at Object.AG.copyObject (batch.js?locale=en-UK:375)
at Function.jQuery.ajax (batch.js?locale=en-UK:402)
at Object.yi (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:116)
at Object.wasCancelledCallback (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:299)
at Function.I (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:291)
at Object.yi (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:117)
at Object.wrapperExecutor (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:299)
at Function.b.<computed> [as ajax] (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:297)
}}

This is when adding issues in progress gadget:
{{
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot use 'in' operator to search for 'length' in /rest/gadget/1.0/availableColumns
at p (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:17)
at Function.each (com.atlassian.plugins.jquery:jquery.js:21)
at Object.AG.copyObject (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher:util.js:6)
at Function.jQuery.ajax (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher:ajax.js:24)
at Object.yi (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:116)
at Object.wasCancelledCallback (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:299)
at Function.I (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:291)
at Object.yi (ruxitagentjs_ICA27SVfghjoqrux_10179191120132458.js:117)
at Object.wrapperExecuto}}

Below is a screenshot of the console error.

image.png

Any idea why this might be? 

I can't recreate the issue on our test system which has an identical set-up and same config files. I've also recreated the application links and done the obvious restarts etc. Atlassian are struggling to get a root cause as of yet so reaching out to the wider community. 

Cheers,

Gaj

2 answers

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2020

Hi @Gaj Umapathy ,

Question: Which exact "x" of Jira 8.5.x are you running? I tried to go back through my various discussions to find where it was corrected but there was a DEFINITIVE Jira bug in 8.5.x (somewhere) that broke this. One thing I can state definitively is that getting to Jira 8.5.3 closed said bug and all is working with that version.

You can validate if you have the problem by looking in Confluence and looking at the gadget feeds and seeing if there is an error in there.

If you are already at 8.5.3, we'd need to see some of the logs as @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ suggested. If you aren't and you have some time/hoops to jump through before you can GET to 8.5.3, the workaround I used until the new release came out was to add each of the gadgets discreetly to Confluence.

Gaj Umapathy March 2, 2020

Hi Mike / JP,

We are on Jira 8.5.3 and Confluence 6.13.9 and the problem started when we were on Jira 7.13.8  (so it can't be something with Jira 8.5.3) and continued even after the Jira upgrade to 8.5.3. We were hoping that upgrade would have resolved it. We've done a clean restart of both Jira and Confluence together, recreated application links and gadget feed URLs, cleared caches.

The problem happens on native Jira macros that come through the gadget URL feed. If you remove the gadget feed, there are some macros like the activity stream and issue rendering (when you paste a full jira issue URL, it renders it on Confluence) that are part of the application links and these seem to work fine.

I also tried removing the gadget feed and adding an individual gadget and tested it but it still doesn't work. The gadget I tried was 'Issues in progress'. 

I'm still to try Confluence safe mode to see if anything within Confluence is causing the issue. I will also get some additional logs and paste it here.

Cheers,

Gaj

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2020

*sigh* yes... I did note that it started to act "weird" when I went back to 8.5.3. Got the network error but at least my feeds kept working.

Try the workaround of adding them discreetly. If you put the URL it generates in Confluence of the gadget feed from Jira in a browser URL bar, you get the nice XML doc of the gadgets available (will serve that just not connect . Grr). Then you can copy/paste the relevant gadgets in the individual connection tab.

I suggest if that work around works, you drop a support ticket with Atlassian.

Gaj Umapathy March 16, 2020

Hi Mike,

I did try the individual URL's rather than the gadget feed but no joy. This is still being investigated by Atlassian.

Cheers,

Gaj

Martin Zeller May 20, 2020

We have the same problem and we get a 500 error in the Confluence log.

Keep a look at the log and please paste your error here. Maybe it is related?

Cheers,

Martin

Gaj Umapathy May 21, 2020

Hi,

We are not sure what the root cause was but this did eventually resolve itself after several weeks.

Cheers,

Gaj

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2020

Hi,

is the Confluence application log showing any errors?

Did you check the external gadget URLs?

Does this problem also happen with the default Jira Issue macro?

Best

JP

Gaj Umapathy March 16, 2020

Hi JP,

There isn't much on the application log indicating any issues. Atlassian have been looking at it. The problem doesn't happen with the 'Jira Issue/Filter' macro. It's only the other Jira gadgets via the more options that don't work.

Cheers,

Gaj

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events