Jira and Confluence on Demand trial for a PDM-System Development

Olaf Huber August 17, 2014

Hi there

I've created a Jira on Demand account for testing purposes.

We are in the middle of a development for a new PDM-System for our company that will supersed our actual running pdm.

The development team comprises roundabout 10 developers and is distributed on 4 different sites/2 timezones.

My main goal of the test account was to provide a common platform for our development, especially for the documentation/content, so that we don't have to mail around different word documents etc. for specifications and that there is only "a single source of truth".

Now after starting with the testing, I realized, that Jira is basically just the issue trackings system and we need to use also Confluence for the above mentioned goal.

Is that correct?

If so, do I have to open a Confluence Testing Account as well?

And then: how do I merge both to work together?

Best regards

Olaf

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2014

You won't merge them, they're different systems handling very different types of data.

If you go to your OnDemand/Cloud management account (the place where you created the Jira system in the first place), you'll be able to add Confluence. In fact, if you look in the menu that appears in Jira when you click the menu icon on the far left of the header, you'll be offered a link to Confluence.

There's a whole load of work to do to integrate the two systems - by "integrate", I mean make them aware of each other, able to exchange data, use each other's functions and gadgets etc. But because you are using Cloud/OnDemand, almost all of it will be done automatically. You'll find Confluence features like "gadget with Jira issues in it" and "highlight a list and make it into Jira issues with a right-click-menu-option" simply work without you needing to do anything.

Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2014

Hi Olaf,

You can just add Confluence on your existing instance following this guideline: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/ondemand/evaluation#duringyourevaluation-2. Both applications will be linked and you can navigate from JIRA to Confluence and vice versa.

Olaf Huber August 17, 2014

Helle Abdoulaye

Thank you, I was able to add confluence. But on the Site Adminstration under "Manage Application" it notes, that confluence is currently unavailable. Is it a temporarily "OnDemand" problem or did I something wrong with the setup?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2014

It takes a while to arrive - give it an hour.

Olaf Huber August 18, 2014

It "arrived", thank you...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events