Jira Service Desk Customers Automatically Added as Confluence Users

Olivia Snyder June 6, 2018

When I add users as Jira Service Desk Customers, they are automatically added as Confluence users. The license my company has is for 10 users. Confluence says we currently have 20 users registered. How do I prevent the Customers from automatically being added as Confluence users? How do I find out which users are among the 20 registered? How do I remove these users from Confluence ONLY, not remove them from Jira Service Desk? 

Our Jira User Database and Confluence Users are mapped together.

Please let me know how to correct this issue.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2018

Hello,

Any user with can use permissions via direct or group membership will count towards a license, so one way to limit that is to take manual control on who has access to Confluence. Once you added Jira as user directory to Confluence jira-software-users group was automatically created with can use permissions, hence why any user created in Jira is synched to Confluence and counting towards you license. 

You can fix it by doing the following:

1. Log in to Confluence as administrator
  2. Go to Confluence Administration > Users & Security > Groups
  3. Click on confluence-users group and check if you have any Jira users that should not have access to Confluence listed there, if you do, remove them by clicking on recycle bin icon.
  4. Then add any users that should have access to Confluence to confluence-users group. Do the same with the confluence-administrators group and add yourself there too.
  5. After completed, we can remove Jira users permissions to Confluence, this is an important step, make sure you are done with steps 1-4 first to avoid problems later on.
  6. Go to Confluence Administration > Users & Security > Global Permissions and click Edit Permissions
  7. Untick all jira-software-users permissions, especially can use and click Save All
  8. Check the user count in Confluence Admin > License Details, click refresh to check if it has gone down
    (Optional) If user count has not gone down, try flushing the cache via Confluence Admin > Cache Statistics > Flush All and then checking the user count in Confluence Admin > License Details again.

Hope this helps

Igor

Olivia Snyder June 7, 2018

This worked, thank you so much!

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 9.21.05 PM.png

Olivia,

Are you a JIRA admin? If so, go to the Cog wheel - select User Management - then Click on the Ellipsis and edit the user. 

If you're not a JIRA admin, then whoever has Admin rights can edit those users.

Above is temporary fix.

Thanks

victor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events