Jira Issues Macro not honoring filter sort order

It seems that inserting a group of Jira issues in a Confluence page using the Jira Issues macro isn't honoring the underlying filter's sort order. I've attempted to address this through the use of Bob Swift's great Table-Plus macro (why aren't those capabilities baked into Confluence??!!) ... but my attempts to specify a default sort column in that way have also failed.

Anybody run into this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

I believe what I've run into is simply a problem with the versino of the Jira Macro plugin we're currently using. Until we update to the latest version of Confluence, however, we're not able to update the macro plugin. I'll call this answered for now and am hopeful that once we complete the necessary upgrades, the problem will be resolved.

You can use JQL directly in JIRA filter macro.

I also encountered the same problem with ORDER BY in a filter being ignored, but using JQL directly in the JIRA filter macro worked just fine. Thanks Delisa!

Thanks that works. I only used a filter in there because that's what the suggested text is and then I find out it ignores the order by clause. Infuriating. Now I've copied the filter query in directly it is ordering.

I'd like to log a new Improvement request. The latest version of Confluence allows to you sort the table after the fact, but still does not respect the filter's ordering when defined. Seems to me like when I'm creating a document I am doing so to define the way I want data displayed to recipients, and if they have to interact with the document in order to see the information in the way I wanted to display it, something is missing.

Created an improvement request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-35323

I would love to see that feature as well.

Hi Rick,

Does the query you use in the Jira Issues Macro contain an Order by statement?

Could you copy and paste it here please?

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

Here's the query:

project = "PTM Rewrite" AND "PTM Subteam" = Claims ORDER BY due ASC

Sort works fine in the issue navigator.

Thanks,

Rick

Thank you Rick,

That query would indeed return the correctly sorted results.

But seems you've run into the following problem :https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-30114

If you take a look at the comments you might find a solution.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the suggesion ... unfortunately I had already found and implemented Bob's post to no avail regarding sorting ... sounds like I should reply to that post and see if he has any direction.

Regards,

Rick

Then I can only wish you good luck.

Best regards,

Peter

It has been nearly three years and this issue appears to still be broken.  The suggestion in the above comments is that we go to a closed ticket in whose comments a plugin vendor offers a solution we have to pay for.  

Controlling the default sort of any table or report is one of the most basic functions possible.  Why is this still not fixed? 

2018 and this issue still hasn't been addressed.  How is that possible?  Its such a basic property.  I prefer to not use a JQL query.  I have saved filters that are shared among Confluence and Kanban boards.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

355 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you