It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Java cannot allocate RAM - Trying to add Confluence to an existing Jira installation

I have a self hosted Jira / Jira Service Desk installation on a debian 9 VM that has been working fine.  I only have 3 users and <10 projects so it isn't a big installation.

I decided to try Confluence so I used the linux installer, followed the installation istructions and used the express option. All went well, but Confluence will not run.  This is what is in the catalina.out log file:

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO: os::commit_memory(0x00000000c0000000, 1073741824, 0) failed; error='Cannot allocate memory' (errno=12)

I am at a bit of a loss to know how to fix this.

The Debiasn virtual machine has 4vCPU and 16GB RAM.  Looking at the running system on average it has a 20% load, and is using 8GB RAM.

According to the existing JIRA installation, the Java VM Memory Statistics are:

Total Memory 1820 MB
Free Memory 798 MB
Used Memory 1022 MB  or 44% free.

So what am I missing? 

Any explanations/suggestions welcome!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Well, it looks like I have answered my own question.

I Installed the default Debian Java JDK using apt install default-jdk.

Then I added a line to the setenv.sh script for java, and the setjre.sh script for confluence:

JRE_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre"

And both are working happily.

I just realized that Confluence is invoking OpenJDK, whereas JIRA is invoking Oracle.  Can they both happily work on the same server?

Or, can I get them both to use the same JRE, situated elsewhere?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,466 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you