JSM portal user picker different for customers vs users

Tomáš Vrabec December 7, 2021

Hello community!

Maybe I am kind of blind, but cannot figure this out.

Customer is using JSM for both licenced users and customer with portal only access.

I got multiple request types, but all contains Jira User Picker fields

• Requested for
  • Manager (supervisor)

Those field behave different for portal only access and for licensed users.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Here is attached screenshot, on the left side, licensed user. On the right side customer.

I am filling values into field via behaviors.

See difference? Left side names, right side keys. Left side icons, right side nothing. 

I am already using

ApplicationUser user = ComponentAccessor.getUserManager().getUserByName("systemRobotUser");
ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().setLoggedInUser(user);

In my behavior to get working API calls to Insight etc. But cannot figure out different user pickers.

screenshot 92.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tomáš Vrabec February 1, 2022

Follow up: This behavior is confirmed bug: https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-5677

0 votes
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2022

I was seeing a similar difference and found that in order to get a user pick list and see the full display name of the selected user, the current user must meet the following two criteria:

1) Have a service desk license

2) Have Service Desk Agent permission on the project

If either of those conditions fail, the user can only enter users by their username (no picklist and no display value)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

No, you're not going mad or blind!  Nor are you doing anything wrong!

In a service-desk environment, customers are not expected to know the individuals who will be working to deal with their queries.  Nor are they expected to particularly care or make use of any information about the operative.

Imagine the case I had last week - I pinged my bank with a query in the app, they got in touch and there was a conversation.  With several people.  They all gave me their names, but only really for the current conversation.  As a customer, I don't actually care who they are (unless they're really good or really bad, but that'll go on the CSAT anyway).  I know I got passed between several people, I expected it, and it didn't matter.

So, your "portal access" people, the external customers, don't get to see your internal users names.

The oddity here is that when a "customer" here is an internal user who DOES have access to the list of internal users, Jira goes "yeah, might as well show them, as they could go into a non-JSD area of Jira and see them anyway"

Tomáš Vrabec December 8, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Well. Ok. But. Still.  I am in closed corporate network. All customers are from from NT domain. Well lets say all 10k users are from NT. But only 250 got Jira license, the rest are customers.

The strange thing is, that, as a customer - when I type manually name, I got search results with names and they will stay. 

Only when using behaviors and .setFieldValue(currentUser.key) there are different results for Customer and User. Maybe should I report that into yours Jira backlog?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

Worth a try, definitely.  I suspect it might be "Jira customers and users are handled differently, SR can only work with what Jira gives it", but it's definitely something the developers will know.

Tomáš Vrabec December 8, 2021

Thanks, will ping them, cheers and have a nice day sir :-) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events