Issues during database migration

Heather Selbe September 19, 2017

Following figuring out a production Confluence (v 6.2) installation at my organization was still using the embedded database, I went to attempt to migrate the database to PostgreSQL 9.3. I was following the instructions in "Migrating to Another Database", but during the Upload and Restore steps I keep running into an issue where when I attempt to load the file, either through the web from my computer or with the file placed in the restore folder, I see an error that the session timed out. When I attempt to reload or re-navigate to the Restore from Backup page, I get an Set Up Step Error. The file has correct permissions, and was generated by the instance using the steps in "Manually Backing Up the Site" Directions, but no matter the means, I get the same errors.

As well, when I skip this set up and set up an admin user, I am unable to log into it. This apparently happened on the main install of confluence, and is persisting with the new install I have tried for the database migration. This issue also occurs even if I change the admin username to something other than 'admin'. I have ensured the password was entered the same both in the installation steps and the login, but I continue to not be able to authenticate.

Any help on these issues will be appreciated so I can get this system moved from the embedded database to something more stable and secure.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Heather,

How big is the back up file?  If it is really large you can run into restore issues.    Are you setting up a new instance on a new server with the PostgresSQL or are you trying to restore over your current version?

The xml export is only 80M, which seems to be well under the pain threshold noted in the document I was following.

In this case I am doing an in place install, but I may see if I can get resources to stand up a new instance.

The only other issue I worry I may be hitting is the box only has about 4G free with the existing install of Confluence on the box (and as such, I've not been able to backup the Confluence home dir). I have been careful to rename the home and install dirs (using /opt/atlassian2 and /var/atlassian2 for the new install)

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Heather, 

I would suggest doing a clean install and then a restore of the back up on a new server.  It will be cleaner and will take out any issues that might occur with you running two instances of confluence on the same box.   I have done this multiple times with restores larger than 80mb and never had an issue.  One thing to remember is you will need to install the same version of confluence as the backup instance.

Thanks for the information. I'll talk to my administration and see if I can get a new box stood up for this to make this easier, though I had a feeling it might come to this. Thanks you for the help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events