Issue with confluence mail disable - Pls help

Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

Hi Guys,

Please help me to resolve this issue,

I want to disable mail option in my confluence for XML restore, for that I've added below JVM parameters and restarted the service.

-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true -Datlassian.mail.fetchdisabled=true

Now these parameters are showing in Confluence's system information's but mails are sending smoothly. Could you please tell me what exactly the error is? and how I can resolve this?

My standalone confluence is installed as service in windows server, so I've followed below docs for setting up the JVM arguments.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup#SettingPropertiesandOptionsonStartup-WindowsService

Many thanks in advance.

9 answers

0 votes
Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

Yes... I did the same thing and now I can see the newly added parameters in the confluence system informations as well. But this is not blocking any mails :(

0 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

No you don't need to restart Windows server (OS).

Is Confluence/ Tomcat running as a Windows service? If so, you just have to go to Windows services (Start --> Run, services.msc) and restart the Tomcat/ Confluence service.

0 votes
Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

I restarted confluence, just checking whether I need to restart the windows server to make this effect?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Indeed! If you change JVM parameters you have to restart Confluence.

0 votes
Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

Raised support ticket for this and waiting for the update.

0 votes
Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

I guess, I need to restart the server to take this effect? Is it true?

0 votes
Sanu Soman May 7, 2013

Hi Sameera,

I want to block emails while doing the XML restore. Suppose now if I change the server details to non-existant one, then also while doing the restore, it will map to the actual mail server configuration from the XML file(production backup).

So dont know how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Sanu P Soman

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Looks like you are following JIRA's documentation. I'm not sure if these instructions have the same effect on Confluence.

Not sure how to do it in confluence, but you could try to set the outgoing server to a non-existant one temporarily to avoid sending of mails.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+a+Server+for+Outgoing+Mail#ConfiguringaServerforOutgoingMail-ConfiguringConfluencetosendemailmessages

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

I know you mentioned the System Info page, did you also verify the arguments show in the log as you expect?

In the past I recall having to sometimes quote arguments for some jvm processes,

"-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true" "..."

Otherwise it sounds like this may be a bug worth raising with Atlassian.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events