Is there any way to run a report of internal broken links in Confluence?

Finding broken internal links (such as redirects) seems to be a random event. is there a way to run a report of broken links or any other way to easily find them?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Joseph Clark Atlassian Team Apr 11, 2012

One of our tech writers wrote a Python script that you can use to check for content errors like broken links: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2011/12/scanning-confluence-for-content-errors/

This solution seems to be for the server instance of the confluence. Anyone knows the solution for the cloud instance? 

You could check for "orphaned" pages and for "list undefined pages" search, assuming that any broken link means for confluence, the page "has to be created yet".

Thanks for this. I thought I should know the answer, and this was it. To do this:

1. You have to be a space administrator and repeat space by space
  2. Select Browse > Space Admin > Advanced > Undefined pages

Works a treat.

The undefined pages search is not 100% accurate, as the algorithm used to track links doesn't account for all links. Hopefully this can be fixed with future versions of the wiki renderer that allow more accurate tracking of link destinations. https://docs.atlassian.com/confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/pages/PageManager.html

Despite the limitation mentioned, this is a good place to start fixing links if you're not using a script. For newer versions of Confluence, it can be found in Space Tools > Content Tools > Undefined pages.

You can use the reporting plugin with this code:

section}

{report-info:global:current date|format=MMMMM-dd-yyyy}
{section}

{section}

{report-block}
{space-reporter}

{text-sort:space:name}

{space-reporter}

{report-body}

{report-info:space:name|link=true}

{report-list}

{local-reporter:space:orphaned pages}
{text-sort:content:title}

{local-reporter}

{report-body-1}{report-info:content:title|link=true} (Created by)

{report-info:content:creator|link=true} {report-body-1}

{report-empty}_No orphans in this space_{report-empty}

{report-list}

{report-body}

{report-block}
{section}

Regards,

Kay

That would be nice, if the reporting plugin was not a commercial solution not availbale to everybody.

Using the new 4.x editor, is it possible to copy/paste the above? It seems to want to paste the code as preformatted text instead of converting it to macros.

Joseph Clark Atlassian Team May 16, 2013

Greg, try using the "Insert Wiki Markup" dialog in the editor - it's in the Insert menu and will give you a plain-text window to type in wiki code.

Hi Kay,

I took the path of "Insert Wiki Markup" path and produced an output (still in edit mode), but when saving the page. It just clocks/spins with nothing happening. Is there any parameters that I need to narrow this down to a certain space and not all spaces. I tried to look through each reporting plugin features to see if I can isolate this to a space key or something. Can you help?

2017-03-09_1453.png

Wow Joseph, my mind has just been blown! Didn't even realize that was possible in the 4.x editor. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

357 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you