Is there any way to import the Confluence Users with their passwords in LDAP?

I recently realized that Atlassian is using ATLASSIAN-SECURITY (Bouncy Castle Encryption) method to encode their Password which is not supported by any LDAP. The plan is to use LDAP as a centralized usesr directory and Crowd as the interface and SSO tool. Our choice was due to the fact that

- LDAP handles multiple password encryptions, which in our case is important because we are planning to import users from multple non-atlassian directories as well and we would like the password to be intact.

- Better support for extra user attributes in LDAP where as Crowd does offer it but the implementation is not fully mature or as per our need.

I would really appreciate it, if someone can provide some pointers on how this can be done.

Thank you in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I believe that this would be a "Cannot be done". Not due LDAP or Import, but due the fact that you need to use another encryption other than Atlassian-security.

So the main ideia would be convert atlassian-sha, to something else, which then would be a "security" failure, and I believe that you might be able to reverse the encryption, but it could be very difficult.

In my humble opinion it would be too much work for something that in a high security environment would be discarded in 7 days upon request to password change.

Getting to your question, I would just import all users from Confluence to your LDAP, and force a random password, forcing your users to change their passwords on first login. This would generate a fresh pair of keys with the correct LDAP Security.

Hope this helps you. Cheers,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

143 views 1 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you