Is there any way to edit labels, individually or in bulk, with Confluence 3.5?

Piergiuliano Bossi March 7, 2012

Hi all,

I'm looking to find a way to edit labels, individually or in bulk, with Confluence 3.5. I guess that I can resort to use the XML-RPC api, but wouldn't it be more convenient if there was a GUI to do that? I can't find any documentation about it though, not even with more recent versions.

Thanks,

bop

3 answers

4 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Not sure what you mean by edit labels. If you mean add and remove labels from various pages, addLabels from Confluence Command Line Interface can be used for bulk changes.

For changing or splitting a label and modifying all content to correspond to the change: This is more difficult and there is no built in solution. However, the building blocks are there with addLabels and removeLabels. So you need to add the new label(s) and remove the old label(s) from each page. You can use runFromSql action with a suitable SQL query against the labels and content-labels tables in the confluence database. Don't have time right now to construct it for you.

Piergiuliano Bossi March 7, 2012

Let me explain with an example. Let's say that I start tagging pages and blog posts with the label "confluence". Then, one day, I decide that I want to split "confluence" in "wiki" and "atlassian". That is to say that I want all pages and posts that have the label "confluence" to have "wiki" and "atlassian" instead. Does it make sense?

Splitting is the most common operation. Other operations can be remove (get rid of that label from all the pages where it's used), rename or actually create: what if I want to assign the label "sport" to all pages that match a search for "football basket rugby"?

I think that in our case splitting is the most relevant though.

Thanks

bop

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Thanks for describing the detail. I kind of figured you were talking about something like that. Let me update the answer portion with more detail.

2 votes
Michele Lim [Cprime] November 27, 2018

Hi @Piergiuliano Bo,

We have recently made a free plug in Power Scripts for Confluence which you can download from the Marketplace to help automate Confluence administration, one of the features is bulk label admin. Here's the script:

https://confluence.cprime.io/display/CTR/Replace+a+label+with+a+different+one

And here is a YouTube playlist showing other useful bulk admin actions you can do with Power Scripts for Confluence. 

Hope this helps!

Michele 

Hi,

You could do it with Label Manager for Confluence plug in.https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.kostebekteknoloji.plugins.confluence.confluence-label-manager
You could search for similar labels in a space and then merge them into one standard label.
You could also do bulk operations like appending , adding and removing labels.
Documentation is here:http://www.confluence.kostebekteknoloji.com/display/PLUG/Label+Manager+for+Confluence
Regards,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events