Is there any way to delete a confluence page WITHOUT deleting it from within the page itself?

Annika January 24, 2018

I have full space and application admin rights and can delete pages in the space but I have a page that I cannot access as there is an error.

The page has two macros 1) child page tree 2) Task report.

I do not want the hassle of trying to figure out the error, it is not important enough. But I need it gone.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Apologies for being unclear.

When I access the page I want to delete, I get an error.

So I cannot see the delete button (or anything other options).

I am hoping there is a way I can delete the page without having to do it from the page itself. I have looked through the space admin options and cannot see anything.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

@Annika Please try the strategies in this doc and let us know if it's helpful: Editing or Deleting a Page That Won't Render.

Since the stack trace you posted seems to be related to "com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.descriptor.web.ConfluenceWebInterfaceManager" I also recommend clearing the plugins cache: How to clear Confluence plugins cache

I look forward to your next update.

Annika January 28, 2018

Thanks Ann, I was able to edit the page and remove the plugins using those directions.

It is all good now :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

This does not make sense.  "Delete a page without deleting it" is what you have said.  Do you want to delete it or not?

At a guess, I think what you mean is "I am trying to delete a page, but I get an error when I try".  Please tell us where the error happens (as soon as you select delete? for example), and, more importantly, what the actual error is.  (At the moment, for all we know, the error might be an angry penguin jumping on your mouse so you can't click anything)

Annika January 24, 2018

When I access the page I want to delete, I get an error. So I cannot see the delete button.

I have updated my question, hope this is a bit more clear.

Thanks Nic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

Ok, you should fix that, not try to just delete.  What error do you get?

Annika January 24, 2018

Thanks Nic

This is the error cause, I can provide the stack trace as well if required.

Cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error rendering template for decorator root
    at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.velocity.ApplyDecoratorDirective.render(ApplyDecoratorDirective.java:202)

caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error rendering template for decorator page
    at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.velocity.ApplyDecoratorDirective.render(ApplyDecoratorDirective.java:202)

caused by: org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getDisplayableItems' in class com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.descriptor.web.ConfluenceWebInterfaceManager threw exception net.sf.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: Failed to lazily initialize a collection at template/includes/menu-macros.vm[line 133, column 45]
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:337)

caused by: net.sf.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: Failed to lazily initialize a collection
    at net.sf.hibernate.collection.PersistentCollection.initialize(PersistentCollection.java:201)

caused by: net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: collection was evicted
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.initializeCollection(SessionImpl.java:3332)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Are there any macros on the page from a third party add-on? If so can you temporarily disable that add-on so that you might be able to get into the page to edit it. Once you are in the page maybe you would be able to see if maybe something in one of the macros is misconfigured that is causing the error. Do you see the same error on other pages that use the same macros? Possibly need to update the add-on. These are some of the steps I would try to troubleshoot the issue behind the error.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

You might also be able to get at the page source using Confluence's build in WebDAV capabilities. That's another option. You could probably also delete the page that way if you absolutely need to. But I would try and find out what the issue is first.

Annika January 28, 2018

Thanks Davin, the add-ons were Atlassian ones so I couldn't disable them but I was able to edit the page using Ann's directions in the message below.

Thank you all for you help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events