Is there an "I'm feeling lucky" way of searching confluence?

Adam D February 26, 2019

Chrome lets me search specific search engines using custom keywords. For example, I've set up the "jira" keyword to search my local jira project, and can type "jira ABC-1234" and hit enter, and it will take me directly to issue ABC-1234.

I have the word "wiki" set up for confluence, eg. "wiki animals". However, this brings me to the search results for "animals" instead of the top result, which I know to be the page "animals". I'd like a way of getting directly to that first result, skipping the search results page.

Is there some way of skipping the search results page, maybe via a query parameter or something? Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Murray Roke July 4, 2021

Hi @Shannon S 

I don't think the suggested solutions address produce the desired result. (I have the same wish as @Adam D )

We want to type one thing in the URL and end directly on the top search result. (we are confident our search terms will give the page we want as the first result, if not we can do a normal search)

The thing we type in the search URL is a search term, so pre-defined link via a link shortening service won't work.

Using google won't work since the wiki is private.
Example my chrome custom search is defined like so: 

https://example.atlassian.net/wiki/search?text=%s 

Where %s is replaced by my search term.
Ideally, we could configure the search engine like this:

https://example.atlassian.net/wiki/search?im-feeling-lucky=true&text=%s
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2021

Hi Murray,

Thank you for your follow-up on this question! From the look of your examples, you're talking about Confluence Cloud, is that right?

The original question relates to Confluence Server and Data Center and is now out-of-date. They are developed separately and don't share the same behavior. I recommend raising a new question about this under Confluence Cloud.

I appreciate your understanding!

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2019

Adam,

We previously had a feature request for this, but it has closed due to timing out from lack of interest:

When I search in our Atlassian Confluence instance, I search using 'gg' so it starts suggesting articles, so I can click right on the one that I want, and I don't waste time by going to the search results.

You can also search your instance within Google while using the "I'm feeling lucky" search like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 2.10.42 PM.png

Additionally, you can check out the Search add-ons in Marketplace, such as Instant Search, which could help you to customize the way search works in Confluence.

Lastly, we use something in Atlassian that are Go Links, and they work much like this site:

You could set up something like go/training, and it can take you straight to the desired training page in Confluence.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

Regards,

Shannon

Murray Roke July 4, 2021

I want to move my answer here, but I can't

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events