Is there an easy way to find out what groups a user is in?

Mark_Booth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

I have just had a problem where a user of one of my spaces was unable to edit pages in that space. I was confused as the default permissions should have allowed him to.

I naively assumed that if I went to the users profile page, it would tell me there which groups he was a member of, but it seems that this is not the case.

I tried to find out from the documentation how I could find which groups he was in, but failed.

I ended up going to the confluence admin groups page and manually checking every group listed in the space admin permissions page to find if he was in any of the groups explicitly granted permissions. This was very tedious since some groups had hundreds of users and dozens of pages of names.

In the end I found that the user wasn't a member of the confluence-users group, as they should have been, but it was a long and tedious process to find this out.

So, if this happens again is there an easy way to find out what groups a user is in?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

Mark,

assuming you have Confluence admnin rights, you should:

1. Go to Browse/Confluence admin
  2. Look under Users & Security for Users
  3. Click on Users to open the Find user screen
  4. Enter the user's name and press Return
  5. This will return a list of users or just the one, depending on what text you searched on
  6. Choose the appropriate user by clicking on their name
  7. This will open the View User window where you can see their details, including all the groups they belong to.

Simple really. :)

Cheers.

Mark_Booth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

Sigh, it's really not obvious that the profile page you get sent to from the admin page is different to the one you are sent to from the nomal user search page. It would be so much easier if both pages had a link to the other. Thanks for the pointer though Mick.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

Mark,

sorry, my comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic. :) I meant as in 'once you know the answer...'.

I've had two of those moment myself today. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events