Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to track how many users use each app in Confluence Server?

Scott Spinali May 17, 2022

I looked through the admin tools and could not find anything that would allow me to monitor how many users used each application. Is there a spot in the website where I can find this or a SQL query that I can run in the database? Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The short answer is "no".

An app could be providing any number of functions in all sorts of different ways.  For you to report on that, you would need to write code (or SQL) for each app.  The marketplace currently returns 950 hits for "Confluence Server apps"

Of course, it is more complex than that.  A lot of apps do "macros", so you can get a good proxy by looking at Confluence's "macro usage" report.  It won't tell you "users", but "pages using a macro from an app", but that's useful data.

The harder ones are the ones that add reports or functions that don't go into the data.

If you're willing to do some log analysis, you could start looking at your access logs, so you can see what app URLs are being hit.

But, after some macro/log/looking-at-functionality review work, you will find a "diminishing returns" curve in your investigations and may find "turn it off and see who screams" is worth it.

I should ask - why are you looking for this information?

Scott Spinali May 19, 2022

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your well thought-out answer!

I am asking in the case that one migrates from server to cloud and they want to know which applications should be moved to the new site. In the effort of keeping costs down, it is preferable to not pay for any applications that only a very small fraction of the group actually use. 

Like Matthew Massery likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events