Is there a way to show/hide layer of a Gliffy-Diagram in the view-mode?

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

I was recently asked if it is possible to give some layer a tag, so the viewing-users can show or hide this layer. 

That would be very nice. For example in a server-farm you can show a layer which colorises the servers with a specific operating-system.

Does anyone has an idea how this could be reached with gliffy?

Thanks for ideas?
Roman

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Almeida October 10, 2019

Hi Roman,

We hear you loud and clear. Stay tuned, this is a feature that will be released in the near future.

You will soon have the ability to hide and view layers through the viewer as well as some other additional interactivity!

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2019

Hi John,

Wow, that's great! Therefore i was right that currently this option is not available. I thought i could be that i do not see this.

I'm looking forward to this new functionalities!
Regards, 
Roman

Marcus February 7, 2020

Hi @John Almeida

Do you know when this feature will be released? Our team is really looking forward to this feature. 

Kind Regards,
Marcus

Like # people like this
Heroly Chour
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 6, 2020

Hi @John Almeida 

This feature would be insanely useful. Can you advise roughly when this feature would be shipped?

Thanks!

Like Marcus likes this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2020

Hi Marcus and Heroly! I've got some good news for you :) 

Our recent Confluence update allows you to connect layer visibility to a certain shape in your diagram (so you'll use a shape to create a button). Here's a rough screen grab of what you'll need to use.

Hope this helps - have fun with it!

layerlinking.png

Like # people like this
Joni Haeck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 13, 2020

This button is grayed out...  any idea why?Geplakte_afbeelding_13_05_2020_13_03.png

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2020

Hi @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy 
I do not see any update of the server-version. When is this planned?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

Hi @Roman Joss ! I apologize, I didn't note that this was asked under the "server" tab. I'm checking with our team to get an idea of the timeline for this and we'll get back to you, but know that this feature is currently planned for the next release.

Michael Sample May 13, 2020

Hi Roman,

The way the layer linking feature works is that you designate a particular shape as a "link" to enable the visibility of any desired combination of layers. The greyed out symbol indicates there is no shape currently selected for linking. Once you have selected a shape the layer palette provides a configuration mode to specify which layers you want to have visible as a result of someone clicking on that shape. In particular, there are four indicators for every layer. The bold font layer is the "active" layer meaning it is the layer upon which any new shapes dragged out onto the stage will reside. There is also a small eye symbol when you hover over a layer name that indicates its current visibility. There is also a lock symbol to demonstrate when a layer is locked and - when editing layer links - checkboxes to designate which combination of layers will become visible when the shape that is "linked" is clicked. Finally, I would say when exploring this feature, also keep in mind that the state of the visibility of layers when you click on the publish button will be the initial state for which that the diagram is first rendered.

Regarding when this feature will be available in Confluence server, we are targeting a release including this feature in the current quarter.

Thanks!

Like Roman Joss likes this
Jan Alexander December 15, 2020

Any updates on when this feature will be available in the Confluence server?

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

Hi Jan! I'm happy to share that this feature is available on server now. If you're not seeing it yet, please make sure you're updated to the latest version and then you can open a support ticket with our team at support@gliffy.com. :)

Ok thank you! I will try to find out what version we are on.

Samie, which version did it come in? We are on Confluence 6.15.9. Or is it the version of Gliffy that determines it?

We are on Gliffy version 8.6.5 because we had heard there were some issues with 9.1.2.

I think you made the change in 9.0.0, right? I see in version history that on 6/29, you "Improved diagraming experience, additional shapes, and ability to rename diagram."

sorry, I mistated - our Confluence team lead said he had heard there were issues with 9.1.0.

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2020

Hey Jan!

You're right, this one came out in 9.0.0. :)

As for 9.1.0, there were some 404 issues occurring that consistently were resolved by restarting the server or reinstalling. Otherwise, there were also some important bugs (issues with diagrams rendering) that we resolved in 9.1.1 released last month. 

9.1.2 was just a small update to ensure that Gliffy was compatible with Confluence  Server 7.9. 

My hope is that whatever your team lead was concerned about was fixed in 9.1.0. If he has any questions or concerns, he can certainly reach out before updating again!

Jan Alexander December 16, 2020

I will let him know - thank you very much!

Jan Alexander December 17, 2020

One more question :).

The 404 issues - since the fix involved restarting the server or reinstalling, was it a one time thing or does it occur frequently? In other words, if you restarted the server or reinstalled, was it permanently fixed? 

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

We haven't had any customers saying it was continually happening. :)

1 vote
Pidso_ES
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 3, 2021

Hello,

I found this post whilest searching through the internet for a possibility to hide and shown layers in gliffy through the viewer. This is exactly what I need! I followed the instructions here and also tried to follow other online documentation, but I did not manage to get this feature to work.

I manage to create the shapes and configure the visible layers:

Gliffy01.jpg

But as soon as I exit the Gliffy editor, the shapes lose the eye-icon and clicking on them does nothing.

Gliffy02.jpg

Neither in the editor mode nor in the viewer mode of confluence.

Does anybody know if I failed setting something correctly or if it's a bug and how it can be fixed?

I am using confluence 1.9.2

Best Regards,

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Hi Emanuel!

Sorry this feature is giving you a hard time. I'm not sure what you should be doing differently. Would you mind emailing support@gliffy.com with your Confluence version and Gliffy version?

Thanks!

Samie

Pidso_ES
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 3, 2021

Hi Samie,

thanks for your quick reply, I'll write them directly.

Evan Marcotte
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 23, 2022

Was this ever solved? I am having a similar problem in my confluence. I can set it all up in the editor but it does nothing in Confluence.

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

Hi Evan! 

If you're following our dynamic layers documentation and it's not working, you may be running into a bug.

I'm personally more familiar with our Cloud version of Gliffy and not sure what issues we have logged across different versions on server. Would you mind emailing our support team at support@gliffy.com so that they can help you out? :) 

Samie

Suzanne Julien
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 4, 2023

Hello,

Since the post from Evan is dated from one year ago, I wonder if there has been something that has been discovered or fixed. 

I encounter the exact same problem. I seem to have done everything right but the interactivity is not working. The link disappear unless I am in edit mode. 

Thank you!

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2023

Hi @Suzanne Julien ! The challenge is that I don't know what versions of Confluence Server you're using, so I can't speak to the specifics of what the bug was and if it's been fixed for your version. 

Would you please email our support team at support@gliffy.com so that they can get into all that detail with you?

Thanks so much!

Samie

Like Suzanne Julien likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events