Is there a way to set a generic password to view Confluence?

The goal is to have a space for stakeholders to view project status. The issue is that often (execs) forget their login/password so we want to simplify access to this page. Making the page public could cause security concerns. Is there a way to make the page easily and securely accessible, maybe with a generic password?

4 answers

5 votes
Daniel Wester Community Champion Jan 12, 2015

Generic password and security doesn't go together. Especially not on a public accessible site(just a matter of time until somebody shares their credentials because it's easier).

My suggestion would be to have an executive friendly email text ready to send. Sooner or later folks will learn their credentials. 

Mauro Badii Atlassian Team Jan 12, 2015

Agree. Retrieving a lost password is not that complicated. An email is sent and a couple of clicks.

Agree with Daniel that it's a slippery slope to use gereric credentials. We have executives accessing wiki spaces, and they don't seem to have troubles (Fortune 500 company). We sync with our Active Directory so credentials are not unique just for Conflience but the same logins they use for other applications. Our next step is looking into SSO.

With "generic password" you will for sure loose the confidence on who has the access to the site. Big security risk

As Tom has suggested, sync with Active Directory or LDAP is the best option to look for (so the passwords are not unique to Confluence)

1 vote

Hi Barbarat, 

I agree with Tom regarding Single Sign On would be a good alternative. For this, Atlassian has Crowd. Single sign-on support means users authenticate once, and are automatically logged in to everything. On this page you can find more details about.

Regards,

Renato Rudnicki

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

58 views 3 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you