Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to prevent some topics in Confluence from showing up in search results?

Phil Gochenour March 3, 2016

I have a set of topics at the root level of a space that I use as my "inclusions library." These topics are all preceded with an underscore in the topic name (like _integration note). I want to prevent these from showing up in the search results for that space. I can't restrict viewing on the pages because then they won't display in the topics where they're included. Is there a way to configure search within that space to ignore topics that are preceded by an underscore?

1 answer

0 votes
Sandy Johnson March 3, 2016

I had same problem and solved it by naming the pages with spaces in between every letter so "_integration note" would become "_i n t e g r a t i o n n o t e".

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

I have the same issue as Phil. How did including spaces solve the issue?

Phil Gochenour March 3, 2016

If a user searches for "integration," then that wouldn't return i n t e g a t i o n because there weren't any spaces in the original search term. While I a clever work around, it would break my current includes when I changed the topic titles, and I would have to go back through and update every use of the include macro. I would prefer something more programmatic, like configuring the space tree to only search children of the home page topic, or to skip over topics that are preceded with an underscore.

Sandy Johnson March 3, 2016

I did not think of this solution until I had the same issue where users were finding my inclusion pages in their search results. If you change a page name, Confluence will update all links to that page, but as you noted, it will not update any page names within a macro (although I think it should). I chose to use this naming convention going forward with new pages and keep to old ones as they were (there weren't that many). There were a couple that became problematic, so I had to find those include macros and update them manually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events