Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to move the contents of a section to a new page?

Matthew Layfield July 26, 2017

Outside of creating a new page first and then copying and pasting, is there a way to quickly move sections on a page to new pages? I frequently find myself rethinking how I should be structuring things, and this would make things much easier.

2 answers

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

I don't know if I understand your use case correctly. Especially if 'section' adresses a logical section of a page (starts with a heading and some content), the section macro or layout sections.

If you use the Confluence Section Macro, you can easily drag and drop the content within a page. If you use the Excerpt Macro you can reuse this content via transclusion in another page.

I personally do not use any of the two. I use the Section Macro from our commercial projectdoc Toolbox (I'm one of the developers, therefore I'm biased :-)). It has the following advantages:

More about sections in Section in Action.

If you only need drag-and-drop within a page, then there is a free but limited version of the Section Macro (without transclusion or heading level adjustment).

If you are looking for drag-and-drop between pages, then this all does not help you. :(  But if selecting a macro (with all contents) with a single mouse click, cut/copy it out of one page and paste the whole thing into another page (with adjustment of the title heading level) suits your use case, you might want to give it a try.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2017

Hello Matthew,

Can you let me know how you would like to see the sections work when moving between pages? 

I considered your question and made the following feature request:

CONFSERVER-53033

I think it would be beneficial if you could simply drag-and-drop entire sections elsewhere on the same page, or even between pages.

If this is what you're looking for, please feel free to vote on my feature request. If not, can you please clarify what you would require?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events